From its foundation in 1879 Somerville’s graduates have been changing the world. Our former students include two prime ministers, the only British woman to win a Nobel Prize for science, and pioneers in literature and public service. Somerville provides strong support to its students to help them achieve their full potential.
Every undergraduate is able to live on the main college site for the duration of their degree. Somerville is known for its good food and has a bar/coffee shop serving food and drink throughout the day.
Somerville has one of the best undergraduate libraries in Oxford, containing more than 100,000 books and open 24 hours a day.
Generous travel and special project grants are offered to help students widen their experience during vacations and to help with volunteering.
The college has an excellent choir, a non-auditioned orchestra with an approximate level of Grade 5 and above, and a wide range of team sports including rugby, football, netball, rowing and squash.
Read more on the college website.
…the right balance of academia, fun and friendliness.
…a place where you can be yourself and feel at home.
…a place you look forward to returning to after every vacation.
…a community where freedom of expression is accepted and valued.
…a feeling of home, regardless of who you are, where you’re from, your gender or race or sexuality.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
|All first years on site|
|Usually offered for all years|
|Usually offered for three years||N/A|
|Usually offered for first year and one other year||N/A|
|Some vacation storage for international students|
|Gym on site|
|Library open 24/7|
|Wi-Fi throughout college|
|Multi-faith prayer room|
|Clubs & societies activities|
|College student magazine/paper|
|Some subject societies|
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Classics and Oriental Studies
- Computer Science
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and Economics
- History and English
- History and Modern Languages
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Medicine (Graduate Entry)
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics
Link Local Authorities
Kingston upon Thames
Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HD