Two people pointing at a laptop. Credits: mentatdgt via Pexels
Two people pointing at a laptop. Credits: mentatdgt via Pexels

Your student record

Your student record contains essential information that you will need throughout your academic career. It is therefore vital that you maintain your student record from registration until graduation using Student Self Service.


Your first opportunity to check your student record will be during University registration using Student Self Service. When you login to Student Self Service you will need to check your personal, contact, academic and other information. If you spot an error with your personal details please contact your college to arrange for your record to be corrected.

Only when you are registered will you be able to:

  • attend your course (programme of study)
  • release your loan from the UK Student Loans Company (SLC) or your sponsor/awarding body (where appropriate)
  • check you have been correctly entered for any examinations and assessments and gain access to your results
  • obtain your University card and keep it valid
  • print a certificate of enrolment.

You should update your contact details at the end of your course to ensure that you receive emailed information on how to access your documents, including transcript. You will be able to access Student Self Service for 11 months following the completion of your course/University card expiry.

Changing your name in the record

The name that is recorded in the University's student records will be used throughout your time as a student at the University of Oxford. It will be used on all documentation including visa information, your University card, transcripts and your degree certificate. The name must be your official name as provided on your University application and must match formal documentation such as your birth certificate, or your passport. If your name changes while you are a student you should inform the University so that your records can be updated to reflect your new name. The titles Mr, Miss, Ms, Mrs are social titles and have no legal status. If you do not wish to use the title assigned to your student record, please contact your college to have your title amended from this list. You may also choose NULL (no title) or Mx (a gender-neutral title). You do not need to provide any documentary evidence to support your request. You may choose any of these options, regardless of your legal sex or preferred gender.

Changing your gender in the record

The University of Oxford respects the dignity of all transgender students, staff and alumni and will take steps to meet individual requests for changes to name and gender identity wherever possible.  All decisions about which details are changed in the student records will be taken in consultation with the individual: for further information please refer to the Record amendments for gender change PDF.

To request a change, you should contact the Academic Records Office (  directly or via your college.  For further information about support for transgender students please contact the Equality and Diversity Unit (EDU) ( The University’s transgender policy and guidance can be found on the EDU website. If you would like your photo on your university card to be updated to reflect your identity, please speak to your college (or your department if you do not have a college). .

What we do with your data

All data contained within your student record is held in accordance with data protection laws. Information is available to help you to understand the purposes for which the University will process your personal data. The University and the colleges need to process your personal data in order to perform their educational, pastoral and administrative purposes and responsibilities to you and others. This processing will take place before, during and after your studies at Oxford. Further information on how we use your data can be found in the student Privacy Policy

In addition, the University is required by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 to submit data on your student record to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). For information on how the agency uses the submitted data, visit the HESA website.

We have a responsibility to ensure that the personal data which we process is accurate. Help us to do this by ensuring that your details are kept up-to-date.

Keeping your data secure

Information and data security is taken very seriously at Oxford, and you can help keep your student record information secure, by choosing a secure passwords and storing devices out of sight of thieves. Be careful about what information you share on social media: do not post photographs or images of your personal data (eg University card; degree transcript). You can find simple but effective advice  on keeping your devices and data safe on the Information Security website.

Your results 

Once your results are released you will be sent an email informing you that your assessment results and the result for the year (if applicable) are available to view in Student Self Service. Examination results will be retained as a permanent record for future verification. For more information on getting your results visit the Results page; if you need to for more information on obtaining a degree certificate visit the Degree certificates page.

Was this page useful?*