Oxford loans
The Oxford Graduate Scholarship Matched Fund
Copyright © John Cairns Photography. This image comes from Oxford University Images - All rights reserved.

US and Canadian tax credits

If you are a US or Canadian citizen, you may be able to claim reduced tax on your education expenses in the form of tax credits. 

US tax forms

The IRS have confirmed that US students do not need to submit a 1098T form to claim tax credits. All you will need to provide to claim the tax credit is the amount paid in tuition fees and the University's EIN number. To provide evidence of the amount that you have paid in fees the IRS have confirmed that a statement from the institution showing the amount of fees paid e.g. a battels statement or fees invoice can be used. You may also be required to provide proof of your current enrolment, for example an enrolment certificate which you can access through Student Self Service.

To request the EIN number please email the US loans team.

Canadian tax forms

We can complete a TL11A form for you for each whole or part month that you were enrolled and either of the following apply:

  • You were enrolled full time (you are not considered to be in full-time attendance at a university outside Canada if you are taking courses through a distance learning program or over the Internet).
  • You were enrolled part time and can claim the disability amount or were enrolled part-time due to a mental or physical impairment

Please note all fees will be given in GBP. To request one of these forms please email the US loans team letting us know which TL11 form you need us to complete, a blank pdf of the relevant form and your student number.  

Forms are completed in accordance with regulations to reflect the calendar year: 1 January until 31 December. You will need two forms for a standard academic year (October - September) and the tuition fees paid will be proportioned accordingly. We can only issue TL11 forms from the January after the tax year in question has closed e.g. a 2024 tax form can only be issued from January 2025.