Hertford is known for its friendly atmosphere, welcoming students from wherever they come: you don’t have to be any particular type to fit in. We value our informal, progressive climate, which we believe fosters good, positive working relationships between tutors and students.
We can offer you accommodation throughout your course and all student rooms have small, shared kitchens. Meals are available both in college and at one of our residential annexes.
The college library is open 24/7. We also have a gym, a music room, a well-equipped student common room (JCR) and an attractive bar on site. Off-site we have sports grounds, tennis and squash courts and a superb boathouse.
Hertford’s students are diverse and passionate about their interests, so we have societies for everything, from economics to ultimate frisbee. We embrace music-making of all kinds and we compete successfully in a range of major sports.
Read more on the college website.
…a second family and a home away from home.
…getting the projector set up in the JCR to watch election night or the Six Nations Rugby with everyone.
…having somewhere to belong, a place where everyone matters.
…bumping into friends in the quad on the way back from the library.
…having a women’s PPE evening in my tutor’s teaching room, complete with drinks and snacks.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
- All first years on site: YES
- Usually offered for three years: YES
- Usually offered for first year and one other year: NO
- Usually offered for all years: NO
- Some vacation storage for international students: YES
- Dining hall: YES
- Bar: YES
- Café: NO
- Gym on site: YES
- Boathouse: YES
- Library open 24/7: YES
- Computer rooms/stations: YES
- Wi-Fi throughout college: YES
- Music room: YES
- Theatre/performance space: NO
- Chapel: YES
- Multi-faith prayer room: NO
Clubs and societies
- Music society: YES
- Orchestra/s: YES
- Choir/s: YES
- Dramatic society: NO
- College student magazine/paper: YES
- Some subject societies: YES
- Other societies: YES
- Archaeology and Anthropology
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Philosophy
- Economics and Management
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Human Sciences
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Oriental Studies
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Physics and Philosophy