There are more than 25,000 students at Oxford
Facts and figures
Did you know?
- Oxford was ranked first in the world in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- There are more than 26,000 students at Oxford, including 12,683 undergraduates and 13,324 postgraduates.
- Entry to undergraduate courses at Oxford continues to be very competitive: there are usually only around 3,300 places, and over 23,000 people applied to start in 2022.
- The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. Over 68% of UK students admitted in 2022 were from the state sector.
- 450 postgraduate courses received applications for year of entry 2022/23 (including part-time variants).
- For 2022/23 entry, over 37,500 applications were received for some 6,056 postgraduate places.
- International students make up 46% of our total student body - around 12,075 students. Students come to Oxford from more than 160 countries and territories (as of 1 December 2022).
- According to the 2021 Research Excellence Framework, which assesses the quality of research in UK Higher Education Institutions, Oxford has the highest volume of world-leading research.
- The University of Oxford contributes around £15.7 billion to the UK economy, and supports more than 28,000 full time jobs (2018/19). Find out more here.