Accommodation | University of Oxford
Oxford accommodation
Students sharing a joke, Oxford
Copyright © John Cairns Photography. This image comes from Oxford University Images - All rights reserved.


Colleges provide accommodation for all undergraduate students during their first year of study and for at least one other year of their course. Many colleges are also able to provide accommodation to graduate students.

As an undergraduate student, you can choose to move out of college and live with friends in student accommodation for some of your time studying at Oxford. For more information refer to Living Costs or look at individual college websites to see the accommodation offered by the different colleges. 

The Graduate Accommodation Office lets and manages rooms, flats and houses in and around Oxford city centre, on sites owned by the University, to full-time graduate students. To find further information on graduate student properties, full contact details for the Graduate Accommodation Office team, and how to apply for accommodation, visit the Graduate Accommodation Office.

Private accommodation

Advertised on the Oxford Student Pad, and on Daily Info and in the University Gazette each Friday:


Residence means meeting minimum residence requirements (known as ‘statutory residence’) for most degrees and other qualifications.

Number of terms of residence

You must be resident for at least six weeks in each term of your course (the number of terms being dependent on the degree, the subject, and the candidate’s status). Full details are in the Examination Regulations. The Proctors may excuse you from part of statutory residence because of illness or other reasonable cause. Applications must be made through your college office. Research students may be granted dispensation from the requirements to keep residence if it is necessary for them to carry out their academic work elsewhere. To seek permission, contact your department.

Place of residence

Full-time students must reside within a specified distance of the University (defined by reference to Carfax Tower). The specified distances apply only during the period for which student members have to maintain statutory residence in order to meet degree or diploma requirements:

  • Undergraduates must reside within six miles of Carfax. The limit is increased to 25 miles from Carfax provided that you either:

                   i) hold the status of Senior Student

                   ii) already have an undergraduate degree from Oxford

                   iii) reside in the home of your parent / guardian

  • Graduate students must reside within 25 miles of Carfax unless given special permission to work away from Oxford for a period.

You may apply for dispensation from the residence limits set out above to your college or other society, who will apply to the Proctors’ Office on your behalf, together with a written statement of support. A statement of support from your department or faculty is also required. Applications received directly or without the necessary support will not be considered.

The Proctors grant dispensation from the residence limits only in very exceptional circumstances. You are advised to obtain dispensation before making any commitments to rent or buy accommodation. If you live outside the residence limits without permission, you will not fulfil the statutory requirements and may not be allowed to enter for examinations.

Was this page useful?*