Clarendon Scholar at the Museum of Natural History
Credit: John Cairns
When selecting Clarendon scholars, the University has only one goal in mind: to choose the best students worldwide, as decided by experts in each student’s field.
Scholarship application process
- Apply by the December or January deadline, whichever is relevant to your course, to be considered for a Clarendon scholarship.
- Your application to your course will be considered by the academics working in your proposed field of study. They will assess the academic quality and suitability of your application.
- The department will make the final decision on your graduate place and will notify you with an outcome. See decision timeline for more details.
- In parallel, academics within your department will determine who to nominate to the division for a Clarendon scholarship based on the selection criteria.
Divisional allocation of Clarendon scholarships
- The process varies between the University’s academic divisions and the Department for Continuing Education, but each meet in February or March to review the departmental scholarship nominations.
- The academic divisions assess the nominations on their academic merit and future potential and the top ranked departmental nominees within the division are shortlisted for Clarendon.
- Once the shortlist is confirmed, the Clarendon Fund Administrator will contact successful applicants and will provide the scholarship offer letter (aka a 'CB1').
- If you are offered (and accept) a Clarendon scholarship, this means your funding is now secure, as long as you meet the conditions of your offer of a place to study at Oxford.
- During April, May and sometimes into June, Clarendon Partnership Awards are matched to scholars depending on the award requirements. No further information is required of Clarendon offer holders.
- Once each scholar’s unique funding package is confirmed, they will receive the funding breakdown letter (aka a 'CB2') outlining the funding arrangements. Final college placements will also be confirmed alongside partnership awards.
Notification of Clarendon scholarship decisions
- All successful Clarendon candidates will be contacted via email. Most offers are sent out by the end of April of each year.
- Due to the number of eligible applicants, unsuccessful students will not be contacted. If you have not heard from us by mid-June, please assume that unfortunately you have not been awarded a Clarendon scholarship.
- A few late nominations may take place during the summer period if nominated students withdraw.