The University of Oxford is committed to supporting students who are studying without the support and approval of their families. We aim to ensure that you receive the help you need in order to have a successful university experience.
What we can offer you
- Support through your college welfare team, who can respond locally to your individual needs
- Assistance in securing 365-day accommodation
- Access to counselling provision via the University Counselling Service
- Support from the Careers Service to find employment during the vacations
- Enhanced financial support, depending on your circumstances:
All current students: Please visit the Financial Assistance section of the Oxford students website (https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance) for details of hardship funding available.
UK students starting or continuing on an undergraduate course in 2019: an estranged student bursary of up to £1,500 per year will be available from the academic year 2019/20 to help towards costs whilst studying at Oxford. Further information, including details of how to apply will be available from Sept 2019 at https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance
UK students starting an undergraduate course in 2020: an estranged student bursary of up to £3,000 per year will be available towards costs whilst studying at Oxford. Please visit www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support for more information about Oxford’s financial support.
The StandAlone Pledge
The University of Oxford has signed the StandAlone Pledge to support students who are studying without the support or approval of a family network. The University and its colleges aim to offer a supportive and caring environment to all our students, in which they are able to excel at their studies while participating fully in university life. We recognise the particular emotional, financial and practical barriers faced by students who are studying without the support or approval of a family network, and are committed to doing all we can to provide an environment that enables them to thrive at Oxford.
You can read more about our Pledge at http://www.thestandalonepledge.org.uk/champion-institutions/23-south/133-university-of-oxford
Find out more
- For confidential advice about the support available for estranged students, please contact Gillian Hamnett e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.