Requirements for your application | University of Oxford
Visa application requirements
Students studying in the main reading room of the Taylor Institution Library
Copyright © PS:unlimited. This image comes from Oxford University Images. All rights reserved.

Requirements for your application

This information is a summary of the requirements and documents needed for your visa application. You must also look at the full information from the Home Office (PDF).

Evidence for your application

Unless the Home Office specifies otherwise, all documents provided with your visa application must be originals, not copies or print-outs from an electronic source. If a document is not in English, you must also provide a certified professional translation as specified in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance. You do not need to include a print out of your CAS. 

'Low risk' students

If the Home Office classifies your nationality as 'low risk' you do not have to send evidence of your funding or previous qualifications with your application, although you still have to meet all the requirements and be prepared to provide funding or qualification evidence promptly if requested.

This applies if your passport is from:

Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (ROC) and you have a passport with a residence card number, Trinidad and Tobago, UAE or USA, or you are a British National (Overseas).

If you have more than one nationality, you can only use the low risk provision for a UK application if you apply with the low risk national passport. If you decide to apply outside the UK, you can only use the low risk provision if you apply for a visa in your own country of nationality or for HK SAR or BN(O) passport holders, in Hong Kong.

The University recommends that if the 'low risk' provision applies to you, you do not submit evidence of funding or qualifications unless you are requested to do so. If dependants are applying with you, they can use the low risk provision if they are a national as listed above and apply at the same time as you.

Students for a one year Masters course

The UK government has introduced special provisions for some Masters students at a small group of Universities including Oxford. For information on how this affects your application see the guidance document.

Funding for fees and living costs

For your Tier 4 visa application you are required to have funding to cover your fees, or fees for one year if your course is more than one year, as stated on your CAS plus an amount for living costs. Before starting a course at the University you will have completed a Financial Declaration for your college (or for some courses your department). The evidence requirements for your visa application are separate from those for your Financial Declaration. Make sure the documents you use as evidence of funding for your visa application meet Home Office requirements.

Funding for course fees

If your course is more than a year long, you will only need to show you have fees for one year as stated on your CAS. If you do not need to pay fees, for example because you are continuing as a DPhil student including a DES applicant and no longer pay fees, or you are a visiting student and your fees are paid through your home institution, your CAS will state your fees are £0.

If some or all of your course fees have already been paid, and your CAS shows this, or you have an original receipt for them, you can reduce the amount you need to show for your course fees by the amount already paid. Ask your college or department to update your CAS with the amount you have paid, but note they may not be able to do this if you have already made your application and are waiting for the decision.

Funding for living costs

The amount you need to show for living costs is £1,015 for each calendar month or part of a month from the start date on your CAS to the expected end date up to a maximum of nine months. If the period is more than nine months the maximum you will need to show is £9,135. 

The provision to show a lower amount for students with established presence was discontinued on 12 November 2015. 

If you are applying under the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme you will need to show £2,030 for living costs.

Additional funding for dependants

If you have dependants who are applying at the same time as you, you will need to show additional funding for their living costs at a rate of £680 per calendar month for each dependant up to a maximum of £6,120 for each dependant. The provision to show a lower amount for dependants of students with established presence was discontinued on 12 November 2015.

Money paid for Oxford accommodation

If you will be living in an Oxford college or University accommodation and you have paid an amount towards this in advance, the payment should be shown on your CAS or on an original receipt. If this is the case, you can reduce the amount you need to show for your living costs by the amount already paid up to a maximum deduction of £1,265. Ask your college or department to update your CAS with the amount you have paid.

Evidence of your funding

This is a summary only. For complete information on funding and evidence requirements, you must very carefully read the Home Office's Tier 4 Policy Guidance sections on the documents needed. If you are a ‘low risk’ student or you are applying under the Tier 4 Masters pilot you do not have to submit evidence of funding with your visa application but you need to have it ready to provide if requested.

Acceptable source of funding

Required evidence

Official financial sponsorship (scholarship or studentship) from the UK government, your home government, the British Council, any international organisation, an international company or Oxford or other university

Original letter from the official financial sponsor showing:

  • your name
  • sponsor’s name and contact details
  • date of letter
  • length of sponsorship
  • a statement that all course and living costs will be covered OR details of the amount of money the sponsor is giving you.
Educational loanOriginal letter from a regulated financial institution confirming the loan is from a national, state or regional government, or a government sponsored student loan company or is part of an academic or educational loans scheme.
Cash held in an account in your name (including a joint account with you and one or more other people named as account holders)Bank statements not more than 31 days old showing that you had at least the required amount as at the date of the statement and continuously for the previous 28 days. The statements must be originals provided by the bank or online print-outs stamped by the bank or confirmed in a cover letter from the bank, OR
Original letter from the bank confirming your funds and that at least the required amount has been held for a continuous period of at least 28 days.
Cash held in an account in the name of your parent or legal guardianYour parent or legal guardian’s bank statement or letter as above AND
Your original birth certificate with your parent’s name
or court documents showing guardianship AND
a letter from your parent or guardian confirming the relationship and that you may use the money to fund your study

Financial sponsor permission for you to stay longer in the UK

Some students funded by an official financial sponsor need the sponsor’s written permission for a visa application.

This requirement will only apply if:

  • you are currently sponsored or have been within the last 12 months AND
  • your sponsor is or was a government or an international scholarship agency AND
  • you are or were wholly supported by the sponsor for both fees and living costs.

Low risk students and students applying under the Tier 4 pilot scheme are not exempt from this requirement.

If you need sponsor consent you need an original letter from the sponsor to include with your visa application confirming they have no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK, or remaining for a year under the Doctorate Extension Scheme if you are applying for this. If your sponsor is providing you with a letter for evidence of funding, they could include a statement confirming they have no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK in the same letter.


You only need to have evidence of your previous qualifications that are listed on your CAS statement under the heading, ‘Evidence Considered in Accepting Application’. If you are a ‘low risk’ student or are applying under the Tier 4 pilot schemeyou do not have to submit qualifications certificates or transcripts with your visa application but you will need to provide them if requested.

For any qualification listed you need to provide the original certificate or final academic transcript confirming the qualification was awarded. If you are a continuing Dphil student and your CAS states “I confirm that the student is progressing satisfactorily on their course”, you do not need to provide evidence of any qualifications.

English language ability

Check your CAS under the heading, ‘English language requirement’.

If CAS states:

Evidence needed:

On the online form, select:

Student from English speaking majority countryYour passportBecause of your nationality as entered on the form you will not see a question about English language ability 
Higher Education Institution (HEI) sponsor has made assessmentNoneAnswer yes for the question “If you are studying at a higher education institution, have they assessed that you meet the English language requirement, or that you are a 'gifted student'?


You must use the passport which is listed on your CAS with your visa application. If you have renewed your passport since your CAS was issued and before you apply for your visa, email your college (undergraduate and visiting students) or department or divisional office (graduate and recognised students) immediately, copying in the Student Immigration team so the correct passport number can be added to your CAS.

Ensure your passport is not about to expire. However, it is OK to apply for your visa with a passport that will expire before the end of your course – you will still be issued with a full length visa.

If your current visa is endorsed on an expired passport, you must include the old passport with your visa application. You should also include previous passports which you have used during your period of study in the UK if you still have them. The Home Office will hold your passport while your application is under consideration. You can request return of your passport if you urgently need it, but you can only request its return for travel if you are prepared to withdraw your application at the same time.

Note that your passport will be retained by the Home Office until your application is decided. 

Police registration certificate

If it was a condition of your latest visa that you register with the police, you must include the Police Registration Certificate with your application. Check that it is up to date with your current address and your latest visa.


Include two new UK passport style photographs with your application. You can use a passport photo booth, selecting passport style photo, or 'Snappy Snaps' on Cornmarket.

Was this page useful?*