A GWR train leaving Oxford station over the existing Botley Road bridge
Oxford rail station and railway upgrade work temporarily closes Botley Road until October
Botley Road will be temporarily closed near Oxford station from 11 April until the end of October to enable station and track improvements and highways redevelopment as part of Network Rail's works.
Between 11 April and the end of October:
- Motorists that usually use Botley Road to get into the city are advised to use the one of the city’s Park & Ride sites (Seacourt is closest as it is located on Botley Road), to take an alternative route into the city
- Buses will turn around just before the rail bridge and use the existing bus stops on Osney Island
- Pedestrians and cyclists will have access into the city throughout the work
- Local residents’ access to their homes will remain at all times, with some diversions in place
- The railway station will be open throughout the works. Owing to the current closure of Nuneham viaduct, rail replacement services are in operation between Oxford and Didcot Parkway, extending journeys times.
- For people that need assistance getting to/from the city centre, there will be an accessible bus service operating from Osney and Botley.
Impact on students:
Students should factor in these changes to travel arrangements. Please note that the closure of the bridge will not be considered as a reason for student residency dispensation.
Read more on the Network Rail website.