Registering with the police | University of Oxford
Registering with the police
Cornmarket Street
Copyright © David Williams Photography. This image comes from Oxford University Images - All rights reserved.

Registering with the police

If you are required to register with the police as part of your visa requirements, it is an offence not to do so. You are also required to keep your Police Registration Certificate up-to-date and to report any changes to your student status.

Who has to register with the police?

If your student visa is for six months or more and you are aged 16 or over, you will normally be required to register with the police in the UK if you are a national of one of the following countries or territories:

MoroccoNorth KoreaOmanPalestinePeruQatar
RussiaSaudi ArabiaSudanSyriaTajikistanTunisia
TurkeyTurkmenistanUnited Arab EmiratesUkraineUzbekistanYemen
Or if you are classed as a stateless person or you hold a non-national travel document.

If you are required to register with the police, this will be stated on your visa sticker, on your Biometric Residence Permit if you have one, or possibly in a letter sent to you when your visa was granted. You will need to check carefully. Your dependants will also be required to register with the police if you have to register and they meet the visa length, age and nationality conditions above.

When, where and how to register with the police

If you are required to register with the police you must email the following details to within 7 days of arrival in the UK:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of study (University of Oxford)
  • UK address
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • Details of any reason why you may need a Police Registration Certificate urgently, if applicable

You should then wait for Thames Valley Police to contact you and ask you to complete an online registration form. In October 2016 Thames Valley Police informed the University that this may take several months due to delays in the implementation of their new system. You will then need to attend an appointment at the Police Station where you should be given your full Police Registration Certificate. You do not need to go to the Police Station until you have been given an appointment.

  • If you are planning to travel before 31 March 2017 you should email your details as above. Before travelling you should take your passport to the Police Station at St Aldates or your nearest Police Station to get it stamped with a temporary Certificate number (P43001T) which is valid until 31 March 2017.
  • If you have a Police Registration Certificate already and only need to update its details (personal details, address, etc), you should go to the Police Station at St Aldates or your nearest Police Station.

Changes that need to be reported

You must keep your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) and get it updated with any changes. You do not have to pay anything to update your PRC. You will need to include your up-to-date PRC with any visa extension applications.

You must report to the police any change in your:

  • address in UK, even if it is just a college room number change. You must also tell the police if you are going to be away from your registered address for more than two months
  • visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • name or gender
  • marital status
  • nationality
  • passport
  • place of study.

If you change your address you must tell the police within seven days of moving. If you get a new or extended visa and it states on your visa or BRP that you must register/report to police, you must do so within seven days. You must report any of the other changes within eight days.

If you realise that you have failed to register with the police or update your PRC with any changes in time, go to the police station straight away and explain the circumstances. If it was because you were ill, take a letter from your doctor if possible.

If you lose your PRC you will need to report the loss to the police and apply for a new certificate. You will have to pay the fee again.

Was this page useful?*