Visa obligations
Students enjoying the spring sun, University of Oxford, UK.
Copyright © PS:unlimited. This image comes from Oxford University Images - All rights reserved.

Visa obligations

You have a responsibility to ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa. Here you will find advice to help you make sure that you meet the necessary requirements.

Your Student visa obligations

Your responsibility includes making sure you do not stay beyond the expiry date as stated on your visa, unless you have made a renewal application. You must adhere to the work conditions stipulated, see working during your studies, paying careful attention to the types of work allowed and not exceeding the maximum number of hours you can work per week. Not complying with your visa conditions is a criminal offence and can lead to your removal from the UK and the refusal of future visas for a period of one to 10 years.

You are also required to ensure that you co-operate with the University in fulfilling its Student visa duties. This includes replying to any enquiries from the University relating to your visa without delay.

Your Student visa responsibilities

  • Keep your details up-to-date in Student Self Service. This includes changes to your name, address, telephone number and email address.
  • Ensure your college has an electronic copy of your passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit card at University registration and immediately every time you renew your passport and/or visa and notify the Home Office if you get a new passport.
  • Inform your college or department immediately if you no longer require a Student visa to study in the UK because you have acquired Indefinite Leave to Remain, for example.
  • Attend all required lectures and tutorials, and hand in all required course work.
  • If you are going to be absent for any reason, please notify your college or department as soon as possible. If there are any concerns about your attendance, you may be reported to the Home Office.
  • Comply with the requirements on types of work allowed and maximum number of hours per week, see working during your studies.
  • Bear in mind that a change to your student status will impact on your visa, and possibly, your work entitlement. This could also affect your dependants’ permission to stay and work.
  • If you have one, keep your Biometric Residence Permit safe. Read our advice on what to do if you lose your BRP.

The University’s obligations as your sponsor

As a Highly Trusted Student Visa Sponsor, the University is required by the Home Office to maintain a complete and up-to-date record for each of our Student visa holders. As part of this, we must:

  • ensure your details are kept up-to-date at all times – this includes changes to your name, address, telephone and email details
  • keep electronic copies of your passport ID page, your visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card and your ATAS certificate, if applicable
  • obtain further electronic copies every time you obtain a new passport or visa / BRP card
  • inform the Home Office if you fail to register / enrol at the start of your course and each year afterwards
  • notify the Home Office if you change visa status and no longer require your Student visa
  • monitor your attendance and keep a record of it
  • report your non-attendance if you are absent for an extended period and we have been unable to contact you or find out the reason
  • contact the Home Office if you suspend your studies, defer, transfer course, withdraw from a course or complete your studies earlier than the end date stated on your CAS.

The University will always email you before making a report to the Home Office to check for any unusual circumstances.

Was this page useful?*