Students at Maths Institute
Students at Maths Institute

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals

Information for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals

If you are a national of the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, and you have been granted settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme you do not need to apply for a visa to study.

The deadline for EU Settlement Scheme applications was 30 June 2021, but if you started living in the UK before 11pm on 31 December 2020 and have 'reasonable grounds' for not having applied yet, you might be able to make a late application. See 2. below.

If you have not been granted pre settled or settled status and are not eligible to apply then you will need to apply for a student visa

As part of a Student visa application you will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, but if you have a European Health Insurance Card and do not work or plan to work in the UK you may be able to apply for a reimbursement of IHS - see section 5 on the Student visa page

Irish nationals do not need a visa or status under the EU Settlement Scheme to live, work or study in the UK. 

Applying under the EU Settlement Scheme 

Further information about the implications of Brexit for our current and future EU students is also available on the University webpages

1. What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

The EU Settlement Scheme is for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals already living in the UK when the UK left the EU to continue to hold the same rights to work, study and access the UK's National Health Service (NHS). Irish nationals do not need to apply because of the Common Travel Area agreement between the UK and Ireland. Non-EU/EEA spouses, partners and dependants of an EU/EEA national may be able to make linked applications under the Scheme. 

2. Is it too late to apply?

The application deadline was 30 June 2021 but in some circumstances the Home Office will consider applications made late by people who otherwise meet the requirements of the Scheme. For information on the circumstances in which you could make a late application, read the Home Office information,  EU Settlement Scheme: information for late applicants. If you had been previously living in the UK before 31 December 2020 but are temporarily away e.g. on a study year abroad, or returning soon, you can also apply for the EU Settlement Scheme online from the country where you are temporarily staying but you would need to show evidence of your qualifying residence in the UK. It is important to apply as soon as possible. It may be a good idea to get specialist help with your application. 

3. What if I couldn't return to the UK because of Covid? 

On 10 June 2021 the Home Office made some important concessions on the effect of absences due to Covid on eligibility for the EU Settlement Scheme. This might mean some students who thought they had broken their residence might still be able to apply. If you started living in the UK before the end of December 2020 and haven’t applied for the scheme, please check this  latest UK government information on absences due to Covid, and you might find UKCISA’s information helpful too.  

 4. When should I apply? 

If you think you are eligible to apply it is probably best to do so now. Although the Home Office have not set a limit on the date they will consider late applications, it is likely that an application made as soon as possible will have a greater chance of success. 

5. Can I apply for the EU Settlement Scheme from outside the UK?

It is possible to apply either in the UK or from outside the UK. You should stay where you make the application until you have received a Certificate of Application. 

6. How long does the application take and has the pandemic delayed applications?

Standard applications were taking a week or two before the pandemic but are now taking longer, particularly when UKVI need to request further information. Late applications are taking longer than those made before the deadline. After applying, you will normally receive a Certificate of Application (CoA) which confirms your rights while you are waiting for the outcome. For information on the CoA see the Home Office letter on UKCISA's website.

7. What documents will I need to apply?

The Government website explains what documents can be accepted (evidence of UK residence and passport/national identify card) and for students at Oxford you could also use the enrolment certificate from Student Self Service as evidence of your student status and UK residence. This can be uploaded online and does not need to be stamped or signed by the college. If you need evidence for a longer period e.g. the 5 years or more for settled status you could also ask for a letter confirming attendance/enrolment for a previous course. Other ways to show your residence include bank statements, letter from employer, P60, P45 or council tax or utility bills. You do not need a national insurance number unless you have been working and needed to obtain one. 

8. What type of phone do I need for proving my identity?

There is an EU-Exit: ID Document Check app which will work on an Android phone or an iPhone 7 model or above.  The app does not store your personal data on the phone once you have completed the application. You can use somebody else's phone for the application if the app does not work on your own phone but remember to give your own contact details. If you have problems completing your application, contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.

9. Can I get help with my application?

We can answer questions by email to to direct you to relevant Home Office information but cannot give expert help with an application. We may be able to suggest other sources of expert help.

10. What is my status while my application is under consideration? 

After applying, you will normally receive a Certificate of Application (CoA) which confirms your rights while you are waiting for the outcome. For information on the CoA see the Home Office letter on UKCISA's website.

11. What is the difference between pre-settled status and settled status?

When your application is approved you will either be granted settled status if you have been in the UK for 5 years or more, or pre-settled status if you have been here less than 5 years - including if you have only very recently just arrived,  for example new students starting this term. If you are granted pre-settled status you can upgrade this later to settled status once you meet the 5 years residence requirement. If you get pre-settled status but would like to change this to settled status later, please read the Home Office information on the residence requirements very carefully. Both pre-settled and settled status give you the same rights to work, study and use the NHS but allow different periods for how long you can be outside the UK without losing the status (5 years for settled status, 4 years if Swiss; or 2 years if pre-settled status but may then affect you applying for settled status at a later date). Settled status would also allow you the opportunity to apply for citizenship after a further 12 months. 

12. Is there any terminology I should be aware when completing the application?

Yes, in answer to the question about a permanent residence card your answer will usually be no, but see the Government website for a definition of what this means.

Indefinite leave to remain- would have been granted on the basis of working in the UK for 5 years, or 10 years residence for a combination of work/study/living in the UK. You do not need to apply if you have this status so the answer would be no.

13. What will I receive after my application is approved?

You will not receive a physical document (unless you are a non-EU/EEA dependant/family member of an EU/EEA national) but your status will be confirmed online and you can use this to show an employer in the future if you need to work, or to show a University if you start a new course of study. It is a secure status and you will be able to send a code to an employer or University so they can check your status online, they do not need any special software. 

14. Is there an appeal process if my application is unsuccessful?

You can apply for an administrative review if you think there has been a mistake. You can also apply again if you think you should have been granted settled status instead of pre-settled status. 

15. Where can I get more information? 

Most of your questions will be answered in the Government guide online, or contact us for advice
See also the EU Settlement presentation in the related documents section of this page which shows you some images of the application process and provides further guidance
Please check if your questions are answered above first before contacting us
Remember to identify yourself e.g. your Oxford student number, if you are not using your Oxford college or department email address. 

Was this page useful?*