Your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) Number

Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 

Your CAS contains a number you need for your student visa application along with details about you and your course that will be matched to the information you supply when you apply for your visa. If you are an undergraduate or visiting student, your college will draft and submit your CAS; if you are a postgraduate student your department will draft and submit the CAS.

The Student Visa Compliance team will then process any submitted CAS requests each day and send you the finalised CAS by email.  Your CAS number will be valid for 6 months to use for your visa application.

Please read the frequently asked questions below. 

When will I receive my CAS?

You will need to meet all your academic and financial conditions before you can receive the CAS. Your college or department will contact you when they are ready to begin drafting your CAS. This will be three to six months before your course start date as long as you have met all your conditions

How to check your draft CAS

You will receive an email from your college or department asking you to check the information in your draft CAS. It is difficult to amend your CAS after it is issued and any mistakes may delay your visa application so check it carefully. Check that the names in the CAS match your passport – see the FAQ below.  You should also check the details about your previous qualifications, and that the course start and end date and fees information are correct. 

After your CAS is issued- if you notice any errors or need to make changes 

We can correct some minor errors by adding a 'sponsor note' live on the Home Office database, for example any middle names you did not tell us about or if your passport number has changed since the CAS was issued. You will not need a new CAS number.

We can also update course fees or university/college accommodation fees paid in advance, after your CAS is issued and before you have submitted your visa application (see FAQs below).  This can be helpful for your application if you are required to provide evidence of your finances, see our application guide for students applying for a visa or our guide for those extending a visa in the UK to start another course in the UK.

If substantial changes need to be made, we may need to issue a new CAS so please check your draft CAS carefully.

Your CAS is valid to use for a visa application for six months, so if your CAS was issued more than six months ago and you have not applied for your visa you will need a new CAS number. 

You will also need a new CAS number if your visa application is refused. But you do not need a new CAS number if your application is rejected as invalid (meaning it does not go through to consideration because the Home Office can see that there is something missing) or if you withdraw your application and reapply.

Frequently asked questions about your CAS number

1. Can I include accents in my name?

The Home Office database will accept some accents. Turkish characters are sometimes not accepted. We may need to amend the name slightly, if the system will not accept the accents and will discuss that with you if it happens. 

2. Does my CAS need to include my middle name/s?

Yes, if it is listed on your passport.

3. How do I know what names, patronymic names, transliteration should be included on my CAS to match my passport?

Most passports have a code at the bottom of the page which indicates Family Name<<First Name<Middle/Other names<< and we usually follow this format. For Singaporean and Malaysian passports the name order may vary, but your CAS should still show the part of your name that is your family name and then the other parts of your name.  

4. I only have one name – how should this appear on my CAS and visa application?

On your CAS we need to put your name in the family name field and a dash in the first name field. When you apply for your visa you will find instructions on the form for how to enter your name.

5. My passport expires before the end of my course, do I need to renew it?

No, your passport only needs to be valid at the time the CAS is issued and for when you arrive in the UK. You will still be issued a visa for the whole length of your course. You can then extend your passport in the UK via your Embassy in London, or back home during a break and the visa will remain valid and will not need replacing.

6. I have a new passport since my CAS was issued, do I need a new CAS?

No, but your passport and CAS details must match for your visa application so you can contact [email protected] with your new passport number and start and expiry date and we will update your existing CAS by adding a sponsor note on the Home Office database

7. How should my nationality be recorded on my CAS?

The nationality on your CAS is taken from the ISO country definitions, so for example it will state China not Chinese and India not Indian. If you are a British National (Overseas) from Hong Kong or hold a Hong Kong SAR passport please note that for technical (and database) reasons we have to record your nationality on your CAS as Hong Kong SAR.

8. Why is my CAS length 4.5 years for my DPhil not 4 years or 3 years?

This includes the maximum submission date of 4 years plus 6 months for the viva and corrections process, and reflects the average time a DPhil student takes to complete. It means that you can avoid having to make an expensive visa extension application later on.

9. I attended a two month summer course in 2018 in the UK, does this need to be included in the Previous UK Study section?

No, not if you did this with immigration permission as a Short-term student or Visitor. Only study on a Tier 4 or Student visa needs to be included. 

10. Why is my scholarship not listed on my CAS?

You will be able to give details of your financial sponsorship (scholarship) in your visa application and provide your scholarship letter if necessary. We are not able to include the information on the CAS. Your CAS will list the full fees (or fees for the first year if your course is longer than one year) and £0 paid until any payment for fees has actually been transferred to the college bank account. This will not be a problem for your visa application. For information on the funding requirement, see our application guide for students applying for a visa or our guide for those extending a visa in the UK to start another course in the UK.

11. Why aren’t the fees for the whole course recorded on the CAS?

It will only show one year if your course is longer than one year. For your visa application, you only need to be able to show funding for one year if required. 

12. I have paid fees and accommodation in advance, how can I get my CAS updated?

If you are an undergraduate or visiting student ask your college, if you are a postgraduate student ask your department. Your fees can be updated after your CAS is issued and before you have submitted your visa application. You will receive a new email confirming the fees have been updated on your CAS but all other information including the CAS number will remain the same. It is not usually possible to update the fees after you have submitted your visa application. Note that there is no requirement under the visa rules to have made payments in advance though in some circumstances this may help you to demonstrate you have the required funding.  

13. I have not received my draft CAS email or my final CAS email?

You will only receive a draft CAS email when you have met all your academic and financial conditions, and not earlier than about three to six months before your course starts. If you have met both of these conditions, check your junk mail folder then ask your college (undergraduate or visiting student) or department (postgraduate student) about your CAS Note that once you have activated your Oxford single sign-on account, all future correspondence will go to your Oxford email address. 

14. I have other unusual circumstances, who can I contact?

If your question is about your course, or your offer conditions contact your college (undergraduate or visiting student) or department (postgraduate student).

For questions about a specific point on your CAS contact your college/department.

If you have a query about how to apply for a student visa, see our application guide for students applying for a visa or our guide for those extending a visa in the UK to start another course in the UK and then contact [email protected] quoting your student number if possible.

Was this page useful?*