Two students walking through Radcliffe Square, Oxford. By Ian Wallman.
Two students walking through Radcliffe Square, Oxford. By Ian Wallman.

Visiting students

If you are a student from overseas and wish to spend a period of up to three terms (one academic year) in Oxford on a course related to the degree you are studying in your own country, you can apply to a college for a place as a registered Visiting Student.

Visiting Student status

Visiting Student status is typically intended for undergraduate students taking a year abroad. Visiting Students should be enrolled in a home institution. If you are a graduate student at your home institution you will follow the curriculum of an undergraduate course while you are registered as a Visiting Student at Oxford.  Please note that there are no taught graduate courses available to graduate visiting students.

As a Visiting Student you do not matriculate at the University of Oxford but your name is entered on the University’s Register as a Visiting Student and you will be affiliated with a college, society or PPH (Permanent Private Hall).

Access to facilities

You will have access to all college facilities and membership of the Junior Common Room (JCR) - the undergraduate student body. You also have access to a wide range of University facilities, including the Bodleian Libraries, faculty (subject) libraries, IT services, and the great wealth of lectures organised by the University throughout the academic year.

Fees and accommodation

University tuition fees are payable to cover the cost of access to the University facilities. As you are affiliated to a college you will also pay college fees and have access to college accommodation. You should also consider your living costs.

For help with accommodation information for visiting students, academics and staff members, visit the Studentpad website, hosted by the Graduate Accommodation Office, where a number of private landlords advertise for tenants associated with the University.

Before you arrive

You will receive the University's contractual documents and a University card application form from your college. This card acts as a form of identity on college or University premises, provides admission to University libraries, IT services and the Language Centre, and in some departments can be used as a payment card or to access buildings.

Before arriving as a new student in Oxford you should complete the first step of your University registration using Student Self Service. Your Oxford Single Sign On IT account details will be sent to you via email. Your College Office will complete your University registration when you arrive.

Arriving at Oxford

On arrival your college will complete your University registration and provide you with your University card. Once your University registration is complete you will be able to log back into Student Self Service to print an enrolment certificate and check and update your personal details throughout the year.

What if I have to postpone or cancel my study?

If your circumstances change and you have to postpone your arrival or cancel your study, please inform the college that you have applied to.

Further information about Visiting Student status, fees and how to apply can be found on the Graduate Admissions website.

Was this page useful?*