Degree certificates and letters | University of Oxford
Oxford Graduands
Graduands waiting to process into the Sheldonian Theatre on Degree Day, Oxford
Copyright © Rob Judges Photography. This image comes from

Degree certificates and letters

Once your degree has been conferred at a degree ceremony either in person or in absentia, you will automatically receive a degree certificate. This will be either presented to you by your college on the day of the graduation ceremony, or posted to you after the event.

Certificates for ceremonies held in July and August (with the exception of the 13 July 2019) will be posted to students by 31 August.

For all ceremonies, if you have not received your degree certificate within three months of the date of your ceremony (or 30 November for July ceremonies) and you fail to notify us of this within that period, you will be charged for a replacement certificate.

Students who have completed an award bearing non-matriculated course (certificate or diploma) with the Department for Continuing Education will receive an award certificate from the Department.

Electronic copies, PDFs or scanned versions of certificates cannot be issued at any time. 

Replacement certificates

If your degree certificate is lost, stolen or damaged, you can order a replacement certificate at a cost of £40. Please note that students are only permitted to have one copy of their certificate in their possession at any one time, so multiple copies cannot be requested.

If you graduated prior to February 2010 and did not receive your degree certificate following the ceremony, you are entitled to request a free copy.

Certificates can be ordered through the University online shop. Certificates ordered for delivery to the UK will be sent by Royal Mail first class post, orders for overseas locations will be sent by a tracked and signed for courier service at a cost of £15 for European addresses and £20 for rest of world. You may also choose to collect your order from the Examination Schools in Oxford.

Degree confirmation letters

If you have passed your examinations and have not had your degree conferred at a degree ceremony, or if you have attended a ceremony but require proof of your award to present to a third party, you can request a degree confirmation letter free of charge. The letter will confirm that you have successfully completed your course at the University of Oxford, the dates of attendance and the classification you received.

Research students: In order to obtain a degree confirmation letter for a research degree, you are required to submit a hardbound copy of your thesis together with an electronic copy before your letter may be produced. If you commenced your research degree prior to October 2007, you are not required to submit an electronic copy of your thesis.

You may order degree confirmation letters through the University online shop. When ordering letters through the online shop you will not have to input payment details in order to complete your order.

If you have chosen to collect your confirmation letter, we will notify you by email when it is available. If you would like somebody to collect the confirmation letter on your behalf, please email the name of the person to Degree Conferrals. When you collect your confirmation letter you will need to bring photographic identification with you to ensure the document is released to the correct person.

Tier 1 Post Study Work visa applications

On 6 April 2012, Tier 1 (Post Study Work) closed to new applicants and, for the purpose of applying for this visa we will no longer be able to issue a degree confirmation letter. Visit after your studies.

Name changes

The name which you held when you completed your degree (granted 'leave to supplicate') will be the name on your degree certificate and degree confirmation letter. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred or where the University is required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or education institution that your degree certificate or confirmation letter belongs to you, supporting documentation showing the name change should accompany the certificate. Visit your student record.

For reasons of security and data protection, all certificate and degree confirmation letter requests must be made by graduates themselves; requests on their behalf cannot be accepted from third parties.

Was this page useful?*