St Hugh’s is one of the largest colleges in Oxford, set in beautiful and extensive grounds just north of the city centre. Known for its tranquil gardens, the college was established to offer an Oxford education to women who could not afford the fees of the University at the time. St Hugh’s now accepts men and women, welcoming students from every kind of background; it retains a strong sense of its radical tradition and of the importance of opening Oxford to all who would do well here.
St Hugh’s offers accommodation (much of it ensuite) throughout an undergraduate’s course, along with a large, well-stocked college library and Bodleian Reading Room. The college is a supportive environment; funds are available to address unforeseen financial hardship. There is a gym and student run bar, and its chapel (and separate multi-faith prayer room) is open to all college members, regardless of belief.
Read more on the college website.
St Hugh’s is...
…having fantastic tutors – each has their own style, but tutorials are always really interesting. The workload has been just what I’d hoped for – challenging, but without leaving you feeling too overwhelmed.
…far enough from town to have huge open grounds, but close enough to get to lectures in five minutes!
…having a 24-hour library, which is the dream. It is a very open, light space with excellent resources.
…a big college, so there’s something and someone for everybody – you’ll certainly find a group of people for you.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
- All first years on site: YES
- Usually offered for three years: YES
- Usually offered for first year and one other year: NO
- Usually offered for all years: NO
- Some vacation storage for international students: YES
- Dining hall: YES
- Bar: YES
- Café: YES
- Gym on site: YES
- Boathouse: YES
- Library open 24/7: YES
- Computer rooms/stations: YES
- Wi-Fi throughout college: YES
- Music room: YES
- Theatre/performance space: NO
- Chapel: YES
- Multi-faith prayer room: YES
Clubs and societies
- Music society: YES
- Orchestra/s: YES
- Choir/s: YES
- Dramatic society: YES
- College student magazine/paper: YES
- Some subject societies: YES
- Other societies: YES
- Archaeology and Anthropology
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Classics and English
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Classics and Oriental Studies
- Computer Science
- Earth Sciences (Geology)
- Economics and Management
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- Fine Art
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and English
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Human Sciences
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics