About the college
St Catherine's College (Catz) is Oxford’s youngest undergraduate college and one of its largest and most diverse communities. We treasure the traditional values of Oxford college life, but pursue a distinctly modern agenda.
We offer a wide range of subjects, with a broadly even split between science and arts. The college is proud of its place at the forefront of innovation, research and contemporary culture. Its modern architecture (Grade I listed) and restful open spaces give the college a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
The vast majority of undergraduates live in college for three years. There are excellent facilities, including a large college library, well-equipped computer rooms and a spacious and comfortable Junior Common Room. Sport, music, art and drama enjoy a high profile in the college. On site there are:
- squash courts
- a gymnasium
- a punt house
- a music house for practice and performance
- and theatres for both indoor and outdoor productions.
Read more on the college website.
St Catherine’s is...
'…the best of both worlds – modern but still has traditional aspects. I would definitely call it home.'
'…a diverse community of students, coming from different backgrounds, studying different subjects, and having different interests.'
'…a place where our tutors seem to really care about our development outside of academic work as well as within it.'
'...a tranquil environment, due to the lack of tourists and the surrounding nature, which makes Catz a special place for me.'
'…such a friendly place with great student welfare!'
Visit our College Facilities Table to compare facilities across different colleges.
|All first years on site||Yes|
|Usually offered for three years||Yes|
|Usually offered for all years||No|
|Usually offered for first year and one other year||No|
|Some vacation storage for international students||Yes|
|Gym on site||Yes|
|Library open 24/7||No|
|Wi-Fi throughout college||Yes|
|Multi-faith prayer room||No|
Clubs and societies
Club / society
|College student magazine/paper||No|
|Some subject societies||Yes|
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Philosophy
- Economics and Management
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- Fine Art
- History and Economics
- History and English
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- History of Art
- Human Sciences
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Materials Science
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Medicine (Graduate Entry)
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Physics and Philosophy
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics