Welcome! Please note that a Welsh language version of this site will follow soon.
At the moment, students from Wales are under-represented at Oxford. To help change this we are launching Oxford Cymru, an extensive community outreach programme, offering bespoke and local support to students of mixed ages, their families and teachers.
Three Oxford colleges, Jesus College, New College and St Catherine’s College, have joined forces to lead on delivering this exciting new programme. By working together, these colleges will ensure that for the first time the University of Oxford is able to offer a coherent outreach programme that covers the whole of Wales. Our aims are ambitious:
- To provide sustained outreach support across ALL regions of Wales for students, teachers and prospective university applicants from underrepresented groups.
- To encourage and inspire Welsh students of all ages and from all backgrounds to enjoy their learning, be independent learners, have the confidence to be themselves and to be ambitious about their futures.
- To improve the educational opportunities of all students.
- To help those in Wales aiming for top universities to achieve their goal.
- By 2023, to increase the number of students from currently under-represented groups from 15% of the current UK undergraduate intake to 25% of the UK undergraduate intake.
- For Oxford University to be a realistic goal for anyone with academic talent and commitment.
Local Authorities in this region are - Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Wrexham.
Navigate through the boxes below to find out what we are doing for Students, Teachers and Families in Oxford, in your Region and Online.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has suspended face-to-face outreach activities. Oxford remains strongly committed to providing opportunities for you to discover what it is like to study here. As a result we have been developing digital outreach experiences, including our digital resource hub and our virtual open days held in July and September. We have also created a newsletter for prospective applicants so if you would like to receive tips, advice and the latest news on our admissions, please sign-up. As a result of social distancing measures, we expect outreach activities to continue to take place online in the 2020/21 academic year, and we will share events with you as they become available. In the meantime, please do everything you can to stay well and we hope to welcome you and your family on a visit to Oxford soon.
For information on what Oxford Cymru are doing for digital outreach please see the Online section.