From its foundation in 1879 Somerville’s graduates have been changing the world. Our former students include two prime ministers, the only British woman to win a Nobel Prize for science, and pioneers in literature and public service. Somerville provides strong support to its students to help them achieve their full potential.
From the 2018 intake onwards we expect that every undergraduate will be able to live on the main college site for the duration of their degree. Somerville is known for its good food catering for
all tastes and a bar/coffee shop serving food and drink throughout the day.
Somerville has one of the best undergraduate libraries in Oxford, containing more than 120,000 books and open 24 hours a day.
Generous travel and special project grants are offered to help students widen their experience during vacations and to help with volunteering.
Read more on the college website.
…the right balance of academia, fun and friendliness.
…a place where you can be yourself and feel at home.
…a place you look forward to returning to after every vacation.
…a community where freedom of expression is accepted and valued.
…a feeling of home, regardless of who you are, where you’re from, your gender or race or sexuality.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
- All first years on site: YES
- Usually offered for three years: NO
- Usually offered for first year and one other year: YES
- Usually offered for all years: NO
- Some vacation storage for international students: YES
- Dining hall: YES
- Bar: YES
- Café: YES
- Gym on site: YES
- Boathouse: YES
- Library open 24/7: YES
- Computer rooms/stations: YES
- Wi-Fi throughout college: YES
- Music room: YES
- Theatre/performance space: NO
- Chapel: YES
- Multi-faith prayer room: NO
Clubs and societies
- Music society: YES
- Orchestra/s: YES
- Choir/s: YES
- Dramatic society: YES
- College student magazine/paper: NO
- Some subject societies: YES
- Other societies: YES
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Classics and Oriental Studies
- Computer Science
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and Economics
- History and English
- History and Modern Languages
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Religion and Oriental Studies
- Theology and Religion