About the college
Magdalen (pronounced ‘Maudlen’) has some of the most beautiful buildings in Oxford, new as well as ancient. It is set in 100 acres of grounds which include the deer park and Addison’s riverside walk.
It is a lively college with an active and inclusive undergraduate body of about 400 students, who can live in college accommodation for the whole of their course.
Alongside its tradition of academic excellence, Magdalen ensures that its students are well supported. Besides the University’s financial support, the college’s own Student Support Fund provides outstandingly generous grants to many of its undergraduates. There are also large numbers of travel, research, and book grants given each year, along with annual tutorial prizes for the most promising and successful students.
Magdalen also has exceptional welfare provision: not only does the college have a nurse, counsellor, and mentor all on site, but the Welfare Team runs dog walking, free yoga, and regular dinners and teas for the student body.
Magdalen’s students enjoy a huge range of activities available to them. We have our own professionally maintained grounds for:
- and hockey
- nine tennis courts
- our own squash courts
- an all-weather pitch (all on site)
- as well as an extremely well-equipped boathouse.
Magdalen also has an array of societies, clubs, and traditions, such as the May Morning celebrations.
Read more on the college website.
'…diverse, and everyone being different is what makes it so interesting. There’s lots of support with studying, both from tutors and older students.'
'…excellent teaching and supportive tutors as well as a huge variety of inclusive social activities.'
'…excellent in helping to prevent students from going unnoticed.'
'...very open and green, and the rooms are so reasonably priced for how spacious and well-furnished they are.'
'…Addison’s Walk in the sun to catch up with friends and see the deer.'
Visit our College Facilities Table to compare facilities across different colleges.
|All first years on site||Yes|
|Usually offered for all years||Yes|
|Usually offered for three years||Not applicable|
|Usually offered for first year and one other year||Not applicable|
|Some vacation storage for international students||Yes|
|Gym on site||No|
|Library open 24/7||Yes|
|Wi-Fi throughout college||Yes|
|Multi-faith prayer room||Yes|
Clubs and societies
Club / society
|College student magazine/paper||No|
|Some subject societies||Yes|
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
- Classics and Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
- Classics and English
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Computer Science
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- Fine Art
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Human Sciences
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Medicine (Graduate Entry)
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Physics and Philosophy
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics
Access and Outreach at Magdalen
Senior Outreach and Access Officer: Nuala Marshall
Outreach and Access Officer: Catriona Macnab
+44 (0) 1865 286697
High Street, Oxford OX1 4AU