Magdalen (pronounced ‘Maudlen’) has some of the most beautiful buildings in Oxford, new as well as ancient. It is set in 100 acres of grounds which include the deer park and Addison’s riverside walk. Magdalen’s spaciousness has helped to determine its character – passionate about academic excellence and other achievements, but also informal, inclusive and without pressure to conform to any stereotype or set of views.
Besides the University’s financial support, the college’s own Student Support Fund provides outstandingly generous grants to many of its undergraduates, while there are also large numbers of travel, research and book grants awarded each year, along with annual tutorial prizes for the most promising and successful of our students.
We have our own professionally maintained grounds for football, rugby, cricket and hockey, nine tennis courts, our own squash courts and an all weather pitch (all on site), as well as an extremely well-equipped boathouse.
Read more on the college website.
…excellent teaching and supportive tutors as well as a huge variety of inclusive social activities.
…a huge number of opportunities to try things I’d never have felt comfortable enough to do before.
…a friendly and vibrant LGBT scene, which comes to the fore during the annual Oscar Wilde dinner.
…at the heart of many traditions, including the unique May Morning celebrations.
…Addison’s Walk in the sun to catch up with friends and see the deer.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
|All first years on site|
|Usually offered for all years|
|Usually offered for three years||N/A|
|Usually offered for first year and one other year||N/A|
|Some vacation storage for international students|
|Gym on site|
|Library open 24/7|
|Wi-Fi throughout college|
|Multi-faith prayer room|
|Clubs & societies activities|
|College student magazine/paper|
|Some subject societies|
- Archaeology and Anthropology
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
- Classics and English
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Classics and Oriental Studies
- Computer Science
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- Fine Art
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Human Sciences
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Medicine (Graduate Entry)
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Physics and Philosophy
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics
High Street, Oxford OX1 4AU