Consumer information | University of Oxford
Radcliffe Camera
The Radcliffe Camera
(Image Credit: Rebecca Scott / Graduate Photography Competition)

Consumer information

The US government requires institutions which offer federal student loans to disclose the following consumer information. If you require any further information about the content, please email the US loans team.

Data security and privacy of student records

Your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 are outlined on the University's Data protection pages. For information on how to make a request for access to personal data under the GDPR, please email the Data protection team. If you wish to learn more about data security compliance at the University of Oxford, please access the University’s Privacy Policies.

The US loans team will request data from you in order to process your loan application. In certain circumstances, the US loans team is required to request specific information from you in order to comply with US federal regulations. We will hold any sensitive data that you submit to us in compliance with the GDPR and US federal regulations.

Should you have a complaint about how the US loans team have handled your data, you have the right to file complaints with the US Department of Education, although it would be preferable that you contact us first so that we can discuss the problem and try to resolve it with you.

Student financial aid information

For information about all need based and non-need based federal, local, private and institutional student financial assistance available to students at the University, please see our Fees and funding pages.

For the following information about US federal student loans, please see our US loans pages:

  • terms and conditions of the Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loans.
  • criteria for selecting recipients and determining the award amount.
  • eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for aid.
  • methods and frequency of disbursements of aid.
  • rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV HEA student financial aid, including the criteria for continued student eligibility and standards for satisfactory academic progress.
  • terms of loans received as part of the financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule and the necessity for repaying loans.
  • procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance.
  • a statement that enrolment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home school may be considered enrolment in the home school for the purposes of applying for federal student financial aid; and
  • the exit counselling information the University collects and provides to servicers.

Facilities and services available to students with disabilities

Information about the facilities and services available to students with disabilities, including intellectual disabilities, is available from the Disability Advisory Service.

Price of attendance

For information about the price of attendance, including tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation costs, and any other additional costs, please see our Fee information and Living costs pages. Occasionally, there may be additional costs for your course; if so, this will be outlined to you by your department.

Refund policy, requirements for withdrawal and return of Title IV financial aid

For information about the University's refund policy, please see our Fee payments and refunds pages. Requirements for the return of Title IV funds are published in the University's Return to Title IV (R2T4) Policy (see Related documents on this page).

Procedures for withdrawal are outlined in the R2T4 Policy and are also available from your department's Graduate Studies Assistant (for graduates) or from your college (for undergraduates).

Academic programme information (educational programme, instructional facilities and faculty)

For information about current degree programmes and other educational and training programmes available at the University, please see the following pages:

For information about instructional, laboratory, and other physical plant facilities that relate to your academic programme, and for faculty and other instructional personnel, please see the relevant department pages from our Departments A-Z. Should a plan exist to improve your academic programme, this would be communicated to you by the relevant department.

Transfer of credit policies and articulation agreements

Students transferring to Oxford from the University of Cambridge or Trinity College Dublin can 'incorporate', meaning that they enter Oxford at the level they attained in their previous university. More information is available in the University's Regulations for degrees, diplomas and certificates.

There are no transfer arrangements with other schools or institutions, although applicants who have already completed an undergraduate degree at another university may be allowed to commence an undergraduate degree at Oxford as a second year student (senior status). For more information, see the pages on admission to Second undergraduate degrees.

Copyright infringement policies and sanctions (including computer use and file sharing)

Unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material, including unauthorised peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject you to civil and criminal liabilities.

The University's policies and sanctions related to copyright infringement and peer-to-peer file sharing are available in the University regulations and in the Student handbook (section 7, available to Oxford users only). 

School and programme accreditation, approval or licensure

In the UK, the power to award degrees is regulated by law and the Privy Council is responsible for the granting of degree awarding powers and university titles. The University's power to award degrees derives from Section 214 of the Education Reform Act 1988. This University is one of the degree-awarding bodies recognised under that Act. The University's powers are outlined in Statute X: degrees, diplomas, and certificates.

Each college is granted a charter approved by the Privy Council, under which it is governed by a Head of House and a Governing Body comprising of a number of Fellows, most of whom also hold University posts. You can view the charters on College pages or by contacting the relevant college.

If an individual course is accredited by a professional or regulatory body, this will be listed on the relevant programme specification (see links from the Graduate courses guide and/or Departments A-Z).

Drug and alcohol abuse

Policies and penalties associated with drug-related offences are outlined by the Proctors' office (available to Oxford users only).

The US Department of Education provides information on the penalties associated with drug-related offences under the US Higher Education Act.  Should you lose eligibility for your US student loan as a result of these penalties, we will provide you with a written notice which notifies you of your loss of eligibility and advises you of the ways in which to regain eligibility.

Vaccinations policy

Advice about vaccinations is outlined on our Before you arrive page. Should vaccinations be required for individual programmes of study, for example, courses involving study abroad, this will be communicated to you by your department.

Textbook information

Information about any required and recommended textbooks for your course will be provided to you by your department. Should you require specific information about textbooks, please contact the relevant departments for advice.

Completion/graduation and transfer-out rates for students receiving athletically related student aid

There are extremely few scholarships linked to athletic sports and therefore the University will not disclose data about the recipients’ ethnicities, gender, transfer-out rate or completion rate.

Retention rate

Information on the University’s retention rate is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency and a brief summary is provided in the University Facts and figures.

Completion/graduation and transfer-out rates

Information on the University’s completion and transfer-out rates is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Due to the very low non-continuation rate, the University is unable to supply a breakdown of completion or transfer-out rates by gender, ethnicity or recipients of need-based Subsidised loans, as this may reveal personally identifiable information about an individual student, which would contravene the Data Protection Act.

Placement in employment, types of graduate and professional education in which the school's graduates enrol and job placement rates

The Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency. The timeframes and methodology associated with this survey are also explained on this website. Oxford-specific data is linked from the University careers service.

For undergraduate courses, you can also view useful statistics from the DLHE survey and National Student Survey via the Key Information Sets available through Unistats.

Intercollegiate athletic programme participation rates and financial support data

The University does not have an 'intercollegiate athletic programme' similar to US schools – however, sports information can be found on the University's Sport pages or from your college.

Security report – missing person notification policy

For information regarding missing student policies, please consult your college.

Student loan information published by the US Department of Education

The University will provide information published by the US Department of Education to students at any time that information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loan programs.

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

If you take out a federal loan at Oxford, we will submit the details of your loan to NSLDS and this data will be accessible to guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorised users of the data system.

Entrance counselling for student loan borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, first-time borrowers (other than for Parent PLUS loans) will be provided with comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and of the borrower’s responsibilities through entrance counselling. At Oxford, entrance counselling is required to be completed via before a loan will be approved.

Exit counselling for student loan borrowers

The University will provide exit counselling to borrowers of loans (other than for Parent PLUS loans) shortly before the student borrower ceases at least half-time study at the school. At Oxford, exit counselling should be completed via Any student who fails to complete exit counselling via will be emailed a copy of the exit counselling guide, produced by the US Department of Education.

PLUS counselling for student loan borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, borrowers who are informed by the US Department of Education that they have an adverse credit history (and have obtained an approved endorser or documented to the satisfaction of the US Department of Education that there are extenuating circumstances related to the adverse credit history) will be required to undertake PLUS counselling.  At Oxford, PLUS counselling is required to be completed via before a loan will be approved.  

Private education loan disclosures

It is stated clearly on the US loans and Private loans pages that most students at Oxford are eligible for federal loans and that these are normally much cheaper than private loans.

Code of conduct for education loans

The University's code of conduct for US education loans is as follows:

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from:

  • revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender; 
  • receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender; 
  • directing borrowers to particular lenders* or refusing or delaying loan certifications; 
  • offers of funds for private loans; 
  • call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance; and
  • advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

* If you are applying for a private US student loan, the University will work with whichever private lender you decide to use, if they are willing to work with us. Please note that we are only aware of one lender currently offering such loans, which is Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae is not a preferred lender and this does not represent a preferred lender arrangement.

Was this page useful?*