Deer in the snow
Deer in Magdalen College grounds
(Image credit: Davide Massimo / Graduate Photography Competition)

Families and childcare

Oxford University offers a comprehensive range of childcare options and provision for families, as well as support to help you settle in and get the most out of your studies. Below you can find an introduction to just some of the services on offer. For more detailed information, visit the Oxford Students website and the Oxford University Student Union (Oxford SU) website.

International students

Advice and support are available for international students who would like to bring family members with them as dependants when they come to Oxford: visit our family visas page. The UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website also offers detailed advice about bringing family members with you to the UK. 

Childcare and schools

The University's Childcare Services provide high quality, accessible and affordable early-years care for the children of University students and staff. There are five University nurseries, and University of Oxford places are also available in eight community nurseries located throughout Oxford.

Five colleges have their own nurseries: Balliol, St John’s, St Anne's, Somerville and Wolfson. These are separate from the University’s Childcare Services, with priority given to members of the college.

Oxford also has outstanding schools. The Oxford Welcome Service and Oxfordshire County Council have more information about childcare and schooling in Oxford. 

Financial support for student parents

There is some financial support available from the UK government for parents who are in full-time education. You can find out more information on the benefits webpages.

Information and advice on living costs for students with dependants is available on our living costs page.

Accommodation for families

The University has a range of accommodation options for full-time graduate students, including accommodation for couples and families. There are a range of rooms, flats and houses in and around Oxford, on sites owned and managed by the University.

Parental leave

The University's Student Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave Policy is available on the student parents page and gives details of the arrangements for students who are about to have or adopt a child. There are particular requirements for graduate research students applying for parental leave, including the forms required and timings, and notifying your college, supervisor and director of graduate study.

Support and community

The University's Newcomers' Club is a volunteer-run organisation, aiming to help newly-arrived spouses or partners of graduate students and other members of the University to settle in, by organising a regular programme of social events in Oxford.

Was this page useful?*