Do you want to build your own future? Develop your own ideas? Set up your own company or social enterprise? Make a difference in the world? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then Oxford can really help get you started. You can develop your entrepreneurial and employability skills through a range of amazing resources and opportunities including start-up incubators, the Oxford Foundry, innovation challenges, ideas and competitions, and many more opportunities on Enterprising Oxford.
The Foundry is an entrepreneurial hub at the heart of the University of Oxford, providing support and information to any Oxford student - no matter what subject you're studying. It aims to enhance employability through entrepreneurship amongst students, as well as create an ecosystem to support the starting and scaling of ventures that will have valuable social impact on our world.
Visit the Oxford Foundry website for more information.
The Careers Service
The Oxford University Careers Service can help you, even if you're planning to set up your own business rather than work for somebody else. Alongside all the internships, workshops, skills-building and support that the Service offers, there are also dedicated resources to help you develop your entrepreneurial side.
Here are some the resources you will have access to:
- Enterprising Oxford: an Oxford University initiative to connect students, staff and alumni to entrepreneurial people
- Oxford Entrepreneurs: a University society open to students and alumni offering networking sessions, events and other learning opportunities
- The Oxford Hub: offers great opportunities for students to get involved with the local community, bringing people and organisations together, to make Oxford a better place for everyone. It also has a Social Enterprise Award scheme offering grants of up to £5000 for social impact projects.
Start your ideas flowing by checking out these examples of spinouts, charities and products that have already been created here at Oxford:
- Enterprising Oxford is a University of Oxford initiative to help encourage and support entrepreneurs and promote entrepreneurship across Oxfordshire.
- Started in Oxford lists hundreds of innovations that have been kicked off here.
- Find out more about entrepreneurs Oxford has already spawned by checking out this list on the Entrepreneurs Uncovered website or by watching this Started in Oxford video playlist
- IDEA Women/Wonder Women - specifically for support for women interested in entrepreneurship