St Edmund Hall is home to a large, diverse and inclusive community. Renowned for our friendly and relaxed atmosphere, we are nevertheless firmly committed to academic excellence and opportunity. The hall’s intake of approximately 110 undergraduates, selected on merit and irrespective of background, comprises students with academic ability, passion for their subjects and the potential to excel. Known across the University as ‘Teddy Hall’, the college’s history can be traced back to the 13th century.
Today it is a beautiful blend of the old and new, with buildings dating from every century since the 16th, including the atmospheric college library set in the reconfigured Norman church of St Peter-in-the-East. We have thriving sports teams, as well as a long tradition in music, creative writing and journalism. We provide college grants and Masterclass awards to fund academic materials, travel and extra-curricular activities, as well as prizes for high achieving students.
Read more on the college website.
St Edmund Hall is...
…the perfect environment in which to stretch yourself academically, to explore new ideas and to pursue your interests wherever they may take you.
…full of wonderful tutors who listen to your academic needs and do everything they can to help you achieve your potential.
…famous for its food. Our chef is amazing, and every meal is brilliant, even for a fussy eater like me!
…home to tutors who are the most intelligent, supportive and interesting people I have ever met.
…a really inclusive community where there’s always something to get involved in.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
- All first years on site: YES
- Usually offered for three years: NO
- Usually offered for first year and one other year: YES
- Usually offered for all years: NO
- Some vacation storage for international students: YES
- Dining hall: YES
- Bar: YES
- Café: NO
- Gym on site: YES
- Boathouse: YES
- Library open 24/7: NO
- Computer rooms/stations: YES
- Wi-Fi throughout college: YES
- Music room: YES
- Theatre/performance space: NO
- Chapel: YES
- Multi-faith prayer room: NO
Clubs and societies
- Music society: YES
- Orchestra/s: NO
- Choir/s: YES
- Dramatic society: YES
- College student magazine/paper: NO
- Some subject societies: YES
- Other societies: YES
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Economics and Management
- Engineering Science
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- Fine Art
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Materials Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Psychology (Experimental)
- Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics