Merton is one of the oldest and most beautiful colleges in Oxford with medieval and 17th-century buildings – including our 13th-century chapel – and glorious, extensive gardens protected by the city wall. Modern facilities include a lecture theatre and five new music practice rooms.
Ours is a close-knit community with a friendly and stimulating atmosphere, and superb academic and welfare support. We have a strong ethos of widening participation and are keen to attract talented applicants, whatever their background.
Undergraduates can live in college-owned accommodation for their whole course. Many rooms are ensuite, and two are fully accessible for students with disabilities, one with an adjacent carer room. Merton’s hall food is among the tastiest and best value in the University, charged on a pay-as-you-go basis. Student kitchens are also provided.
Merton provides generous financial support including grants for buying books, language learning, course-related expenses and projects and travel.
Read more on the college website.
…large enough to have many circles of friends, but also small enough to feel like part of a Merton family.
…packed with lovely and supportive people at all levels of the college.
…chatting at the late gate for a long time after dinner with friends.
…collaborating with your friends on a problem set via group-chat.
…my home from home.
To compare facilities across different colleges, please visit our College Facilities Table.
- All first years on site: YES
- Usually offered for three years: YES
- Usually offered for first year and one other year: NO
- Usually offered for all years: NO
- Some vacation storage for international students: YES
- Dining hall: YES
- Bar: YES
- Café: NO
- Gym on site: YES
- Boathouse: YES
- Library open 24/7: NO
- Computer rooms/stations: YES
- Wi-Fi throughout college: YES
- Music room: YES
- Theatre/performance space: YES
- Chapel: YES
- Multi-faith prayer room: NO
Clubs and societies
- Music society: YES
- Orchestra/s: YES
- Choir/s: YES
- Dramatic society: YES
- College student magazine/paper: YES
- Some subject societies: YES
- Other societies: YES
- Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)
- Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
- Classics and Modern Languages
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Philosophy
- Economics and Management
- English Language and Literature
- English and Modern Languages
- History (Ancient and Modern)
- History and English
- History and Modern Languages
- History and Politics
- Law (Jurisprudence)
- Law with Law Studies in Europe
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Physics and Philosophy