Visa requirements | University of Oxford
Students looking at mobile phone
Students looking at mobile

Visa requirements

There is information and help available for international students who require a visa to study in the UK. 

Student Immigration

The University's Student Immigration website provides guidance on:

  • the type of visa you may require to study at Oxford
  • applying for your visa before you arrive
  • your visa status and legal obligations
  • travel during your stay
  • staying on to work after your studies

You can also contact the Student Immigration team for visa information and help:

If you are a student from the European Union considering undergraduate study at Oxford, our Oxford and the EU page is continually updated with information on the implications of the UK's exit from the EU. You can also visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website for guidance.

Do I need a visa to study at Oxford?

If you are a national of a country in the EEA or Switzerland, or you have indefinite leave to remain, you don't need a visa to study in the UK. If you are a national of any other country, you will require a visa for study.

What kind of visa do I need? 

Most students from countries outside the EEA will require a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. If you are coming to Oxford for a course or period of study that is six months or less in duration, you may be eligible for a Short-Term Student visa

For more information about the type of visa you will require to study at Oxford, visit the Student Immigration pages.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Some of our undergraduate courses  are included in the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) scheme. If you require a visa to study in the UK and you receive an offer to study one of these subjects at undergraduate level in the UK, you must have received your ATAS certificate before you apply for your visa.

If you receive an offer for a subject covered by ATAS, your college will inform you that an ATAS certificate is required. They will provide you with a CAH3 code you need to use, and a list of modules for that course. You must wait for the college to give you this information first, before you apply for ATAS. The following subjects require ATAS at Oxford: 


MEng Materials Science                     


MPhys Physics 
MPhysPhil Physics and Philosophy
MMathsPhys Mathematical and Theoretical Physics


For more information on what to think about before you come to Oxford, visit our page for international students