Accommodation | University of Oxford
Broad Street
Buildings along Broad Street
(Image Credit: Toa Heftiba)


There is a wide range of accommodation available in Oxford for graduate students, provided both by the University and its colleges and by the private sector. 

While the University cannot guarantee accommodation to its graduate students, 57% of all full-time graduate students, and 70% of full-time graduate 'freshers' (first-year students) were housed between the University and all its colleges in 2016-17.

College accommodation

Many colleges are able to offer accommodation to their graduate students for all or part of their course – but the amount available varies between colleges. If you are looking for somewhere to live, your college should be your first port of call. They can give you more information on what is available and how it is allocated. 

Some colleges also provide specific accommodation for couples, families or adapted accommodation for students with disabilities. Please see our college accommodation page for more details. 

Graduate Accommodation Office

If your college cannot house you, you can contact the Graduate Accommodation Office. It lets and manages rooms, flats and houses in and around Oxford, on sites owned by the University, to full-time graduate students. For more information on graduate student properties and how to apply for accommodation, visit the Graduate Accommodation Office website and contact the team. 

Students with disabilities

If you have a disability which requires adapted accommodation, please ensure you declare this when you apply to your course. The University will do its best to find you a college with accommodation which is appropriate to your needs. Students with disabilities cannot be guaranteed accommodation.

Part-time students

Neither the University nor its colleges accommodate part-time students. If you are a part-time student and need to stay in Oxford, some colleges (such as Kellogg College) offer their part-time college members the opportunity to book short-term accommodation. Please speak to your college directly to see if they are able to help you. 

Private accommodation and other resources

Private accommodation is advertised on the Daily Info website and in the University Gazette every week. There are also specialist student accommodation websites such as Rightmove students or The Oxford University Students Union (Oxford SU) also provides guidance on living out and can help you if you have questions or concerns about accommodation.

If you are new to renting, or renting in the UK, Shelter can provide you with lots of useful information about how renting works, the types of tenancies available, and what to look out for in your contract.

Residence requirements

The University requires its full-time students to live within twenty-five miles from Carfax Tower in Oxford’s City Centre, to be able to enter for their examination(s) and qualify for their degree. The Examination Regulations for your course set out the minimum number of terms you must live in Oxford.

If you are a full-time graduate student and are not living in college-owned accommodation, you must live within the residence limits, unless you are given special permission to work away from Oxford, or it is a formal requirement of your course.

If you are studying for a part-time course you are exempt from these residence requirements.

In exceptional circumstances, you can apply to live beyond the residence limits. You are strongly advised to obtain permission to do so before agreeing to rent or buy accommodation - please contact your college for more information.

If you live outside the residence limits without permission, you will not fulfil the requirements for your degree and may not be allowed to enter for your examination(s).

Was this page useful?*