Formed in the year 2000 to assist the best graduate students at the University of Oxford, the Clarendon Fund has so far enabled over 1,600 students to achieve their academic goals.
Originally set up to support overseas students, the Clarendon Fund first welcomed scholars to Oxford in 2001. The scheme was widened in 2011 to encompass students from all over the world, including from the UK and the rest of the EU. The assistance the scholars receive with their fees and living costs removes any financial barriers that may stand in the way of these outstanding graduate students. It also means that Oxford can attract and retain the highest-achieving applicants, helping the University to maintain its position as a leading, research-intensive academic institution. In this way the Clarendon scholars contribute immeasurable long-term value to the University.
Clarendon’s core funding comes from Oxford University Press, and the resources dedicated to it have increased dramatically since its inception: from £2m per annum in the year of its establishment to £7.5m per annum since 2008. Awards made in partnership with Clarendon now increase this core funding by as much as £4.3m annually, allowing the University to fund around 140 Clarendon scholars in each intake.
About the donor
Oxford University Press (OUP) is one of the departments of the University of Oxford. It is a publishing house which printed its first book in 1478, only two years after William Caxton established the first printing press in England. It is the largest university press in the world, publishing in multiple academic fields with offices in 50 countries. Through its activities, OUP furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship and education.
About the name
Edward Hyde, later Earl of Clarendon and also Chancellor of the University of Oxford from 1660-1667, wrote a famous and highly profitable work, The History of the Great Rebellion, about the English Civil War of the 17th century. The profits of his book were used to construct the University-owned Clarendon Building on Broad Street in central Oxford. The Clarendon Building was designed to house Oxford University Press, and so the Clarendon Fund was named in honour of this famous building and its historic links to OUP.
About the logo
The Clarendon Fund logo was designed in 2009 in the run-up to the Fund's 10th anniversary, and simplified and updated in 2014. It celebrates both the long history and traditions of Oxford and of OUP, as well as welcoming the Clarendon scholars who will write the pages of the University's future.
It shows the pediment and the statues of the Muses at the top of the Clarendon Building, which are perhaps the building's most recognisable feature and an iconic part of the Oxford skyline. The building was constructed in the neoclassical style from 1711-15 on the design of Nicholas Hawksmoor, a pupil of Sir Christopher Wren.
The font used with the redesigned logo is one of the Fell typefaces which were procured by Doctor John Fell in around 1670-72, for use at OUP.