Modern Languages Study Day
Christ Church is excited to be hosting a Modern Languages Study Day on Thursday 1 June 2023. This day is aimed both at students who are currently studying languages and those who are interested in picking up new languages at university. It will offer a taste of Modern Languages at university across both cases.
You do not need to be studying a language already to do a Modern Language as part of your degree at Oxford. As well as degree courses in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Modern Greek, Oxford also offers joint-honours courses that can involve languages in different combinations, such as French and Beginners’ Russian, Spanish and Portuguese or Russian and Beginners’ Czech (with Slovak).
Oxford also offers a range of joint-honours courses that combine languages with other subjects, such as English and French, Modern Languages and Linguistics, Philosophy and Beginners’ German.
More detailed information about course combinations and content can be found on the Oxford courses webpage.
What are we offering?
The day will include an introduction to language study at Oxford, workshops covering various aspects of the course, taster sessions in some of our joint-honours options, as well as a workshop on the Modern Languages Admissions Test (MLAT).
The participants will have a chance to meet students who study Modern Languages at Oxford, have lunch in the Christ Church Hall, and go on a tour of the college. The event will be free of charge and lunch will be provided. W
e would not want the cost of travelling to Oxford to prevent students from participating and are able to offer support with travel costs to UK students who have been in care, are young carers, have been eligible for free school meals, or who would otherwise be unable to attend.
Provisional timetable for the day:
- 10.00 to 10.30: Arrival and refreshments
- 10.30 to 11.00: Welcome and Introduction to Modern Languages at Oxford
- 11.00 to 11.15: Q&A with tutors and current students
- 11.15 to 12.00: Taster in literary study work
- 12.00 to 13.00: Lunch
- 13.00 to 13.45: Beginners’ languages workshop OR Transition from A-level talk
- 13.45 to 14.30: Joint-honours tasters
- Options from some of the other courses offered alongside Modern Languages
- 14.30 to 15.15: Tour of Christ Church with current students
- 15.15 to 15.45: Admissions test workshop
- 15.45 to 16.00: Closing remarks
Who is the event for?
We welcome applications from Year 12 students at state schools who are considering applying to study Modern Languages at Oxford, single or joint-honours, established or beginner.
If the event is oversubscribed we will be prioritising applications from students based on the following contextual factors:
- Your POLAR postcode score is 1 or 2
- Your ACORN postcode score is 4 or 5
- You have been eligible for free school meals
- Your parents did not go to university
- You are from an ethnic background that is underrepresented at Oxford
- You have been, or currently are, in care
- You are a young carer
- You attend a non-selective school
- Students are expected to attend unaccompanied if 16 or over. Please ask for permission from your school if attending will involve missing any lessons.
How to apply
Interested applicants should fill in the Modern Languages Study Day Application Form by 5pm on Friday 21 April.
If you have any questions before or after applying for a place on the programme, you can contact Access & Schools Liaison Officer, Joel Butler, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01865 276181.
We will be in touch about the result of your application during the week commencing 1 May.