Experience what it's like to study Materials Science at Oxford for the day!
At our annual Materials Science Open Days, you will get the chance to experience what studying Materials Science at Oxford is like. You will gain insight into the subject through taster lectures and workshop sessions, along with a feel for Oxford itself with tours of both the department and an Oxford college.
The format of the day varies, but a typical programme would have the following elements:
- A welcome to the department and a brief introduction to Materials Science as a subject
- A talk from a senior lecturer about their work, often relating to cutting-edge research
- A tour of the department, giving an idea of our facilities and showing the variety of on-going research activities
- A brief tour of one of the colleges
- A workshop looking at a variety of aspects of materials science that relate to the Science Curriculum
- Advice on how to apply to study Materials Science
- The chance to meet and speak to some of our current students.
Places are very limited so booking is essential. Each student wishing to attend must complete the application form linked on this page.
The event is aimed at prospective students in Year 11 and Year 12.
Before completing the form, please confirm with your teacher(s) that you have permission to attend the Open Day if the date of the Open Day falls during your school term-time - on the form we will be asking for the contact information of one of your teachers in order to confirm this. This is to ensure the attendance of all students we allocate places to, since these events are usually oversubscribed.
As places are limited, we will limit the number of students from a single school to 6 on any one day. If more than 6 students from a single school register for places, places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, whilst trying to maintain an even gender split of students where possible.
If you are a teacher wishing to bring a group of school students with you to attend one of our Open Days, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this.
Students may attend with or without their teachers/parents.
If we are oversubscribed, priority will be given to students from schools with little or no history of applications to Oxford.
How to book: To register for the in person open day, please complete the form linked to on this page.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.