Experience what it's like to study Materials Science at Oxford for the day!
At our annual Materials Science Open Days, you will get the chance to experience what studying Materials Science at Oxford is like. You will gain insight into the subject through taster lectures and workshop sessions, along with a feel for Oxford itself with tours of both the department and an Oxford college.
The format of the day varies, but a typical programme would have the following elements:
- A welcome to the department and a brief introduction to Materials Science as a subject
- A talk from a senior lecturer about their work, often relating to cutting-edge research
- A tour of the department giving an idea of our facilities and showing the variety of on-going research activities
- A brief tour of one of the colleges
- A workshop looking at a variety of aspects of materials science that relate to the Science Curriculum
- Advice on how to apply to study Materials Science
- The chance to meet and speak to some of our current students
This year, we will be holding both in person Open Days (held at the Department of Materials in Oxford) and an online open day. Please be aware that places on the in person Open Days are very limited. We hope that those of you who do not get a place on one of the in person Open Days or who are unable to travel to Oxford for the day will be able to gain just as much by joining us for our online Open Day.
Places are very limited so booking is essential, and we ask you to limit the number of students from a single school to six on any one day. As the event may take place during term-time for schools, we ask that all bookings are completed by a teacher to ensure their agreement. Pupils may attend with or without their teachers/parents. Priority will be given to students from schools with little or no history of applications to Oxford.
How to book: To apply for places on one of the in person Open Days, please complete this form linked on this page. The deadline to complete the form is 5pm Thursday 26th January 2023 and we will inform all applicants by the end of Tuesday 31st January 2023 whether their application has been successful.
More details about the Open Days can be found on our website here: https://www.materials.ox.ac.uk/materials-science-open-days