Government support for 2019-entry | University of Oxford
Government support
Research students studying engineering.
(Image credit: John Cairns Photography / Oxford University Images).

Government support for 2019-entry

If you are a UK or EU student undertaking your first undergraduate degree, you will be eligible to access a loan from the UK government for the full amount of your course fee and do not need to pay anything upfront.

If you are a UK student, in addition to course fee support, you can also apply for funding towards your living costs, and the amount available to you will vary according to where you are from in the UK.  You will be able to access a basic maintenance loan towards your living costs regardless of your household income level and if you are from a lower-income household you will also be eligible to access additional maintenance support.

You should apply to your regional funding agency (see below) before the end of the Easter holidays to ensure that funding is in place for the start of your course, and should remember to apply to be means tested, if appropriate.

What does it mean to be ‘means tested’ or ‘financially assessed’?

If you want to be considered for additional maintenance support, you will need to complete a financial assessment as part of your application to your funding agency in order to calculate your household income. Although much of this process is automated, you may need to provide financial information to support your assessment.

What is household income and how is it calculated?

Your household income is made up of your income plus that of the people who live with you, such as your parents/step-parent/partner. Household income is assessed based on gross taxable income for the last full tax year. If you are starting your course in 2019, information from the 2017/18 tax year will be used.

The regional funding agency figures below may be subject to inflationary changes in future years.  Any UK government loans that you take out will need to be repaid after you leave your course.

If you are from England

Household incomeMaintenance loan
(repayable after graduation)
£0 - £25,000£8,944
£25,000 - £42,875£8,944 - £6,650
£42,875 - £62,212£6,650 - £4,168
£62,212 +£4,168

If you are from Northern Ireland

Household incomeMaintenance loan
(repayable after graduation)
Maintenance grant
(non repayable)
£0 - £19,203£2,953£3,475
£19,203 - £30,000£2,953 - £3,625£3,475 - £1,215
£30,000 - £41,065£3,625 - £4,790£1,215 - £50
£41,065 - £53,035£4,840 - £3,630£0
£53,035 +£3,630£0

If you are from Scotland

  • Apply to Student Awards Agency Scotland
  • A tuition fee loan to cover your course fee in full
  • Maintenance loan and maintenance grant for living costs
  • Independent students receive a similar level of total maintenance support but with a smaller grant and a larger loan.
Household incomeMaintenance loan
(repayable after graduation)
Maintenance grant
(non repayable)
£0 - £20,999£5,750£2,000
£21,000 - £23,999£5,750£1,125
£24,000 - £33,999£5,750£500
£34,000 +£4,750£0

If you are from Wales

Household incomeMaintenance loan
(repayable after graduation)
Maintenance grant
(non repayable)
£0 - £18,370£1,125£8,100
£18,370 - £30,000£1,125 - £3,147£8,100 - £6,078
£30,000 - £50,000£3,147 - £6,625£6,078 - £2,600
£50,000 - £59,200£6,225 - £8,225£2,600 - £1,000
£59,200 +£8,225£1,000

Additional support from the UK government

If you are a UK student and have additional costs because of a disability or dependants, you could be eligible to receive the following extra assistance from the UK government.

Disabled Students’ AllowancesUK students who require funding to meet course-related costsBased upon needApply through regional funding agency
Parents’ Learning AllowanceUK students with dependantsBased upon household income
Childcare Grant
Adult Dependants’ Grant
Tax creditsApply through the Government Website

If you are from outside the UK

Students from the rest of the EU

EU students are eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan from the UK government at the GOV.UK website and should download and complete a EU19N application form once this is available. 

EU students should note that they are not eligible for living costs support from the UK government.

The UK government has confirmed that students starting their course in 2019 will be able to apply for student loan support for the duration of their course, even if the course concludes after the UK’s exit from the EU. Information for EU applicants about the implications of the UK plans to leave European Union membership is available on the Oxford Students website.

Islands students

If you are from the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, you will be entitled to different support to that of students from the rest of the UK. Find out more at:

US and Canadian Loans

If you are from the US or Canada, you can apply for loans to help with fees and living costs. Details can be found at:

The University is able to process applications for US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) funding (also known as the GI Bill or Post 9/11 Bill) and can complete and submit certificates of enrolment to the VA. Please refer to our US Department of Veterans Affairs funding webpage for further information.

All other students

You should also check whether there is any funding available to you from your home government to support your studies at Oxford.

Was this page useful?*