Making a difference through research
Entries for the 2022 awards are now closed. All applicants will be contacted after the judging process is complete.
The inaugural Vice-Chancellor’s Innovation & Engagement Awards will recognise and celebrate the wide range of ways in which research undertaken at the University of Oxford makes a positive difference to the economy, the environment, and society.
These Awards will highlight the contribution of teams or individuals who have developed and delivered high-quality innovation and engagement activities at all levels. These may include entrepreneurialism, the creation of new products or models, and engagement with businesses, charities, hospitals, industry, policymakers, publics, regional and community partners, or others.
All awarded entries will illustrate the value of the University of Oxford’s research when connected with, or applied in, the wider world, including its capacity to create, inform and enact positive change. It is expected that a wide variety of approaches will be represented and activities described may be local, regional, national or international in scope, and may span disciplinary boundaries.
Winning entries receive recognition for their achievements at the Vice-Chancellor's Innovation and Engagement Awards on 6 September 2022. The Vice-Chancellor's Choice winner(s) will also be announced at the ceremony and receive a prize of £2,000.
Please refer to the guidance before completing the entry form.
Deadline for Entries: 5pm, Monday 25 April 2022
How to enter
Entrants may self-nominate or be nominated by someone else. The application process is the same in either case.
- Ensure that you have read through the application guidance notes for eligibility and that your innovation or engagement activity fits the criteria
- Apply via IRAMS and attach entry form in the ‘Case for Support’ section.
Information on IRAMs can be found at https://researchsupport.admin.ox.ac.uk/applying/howto/irams
- The Vice-Chancellor's Innovation & Engagement Awards competition is open to current employees of the University of Oxford, or one of its colleges, at any career stage who will be in post on 31 July 2022 for activities undertaken since July 2019.
- Other individuals and organisations, both internal and external, that were integral to the project/activities must also agree to submission of the entry and be acknowledged in the relevant IRAMS section.
- Co-entrants can include staff (researchers, academics, teaching staff, and professional services staff, such as research facilitators and curators), graduate students at the University of Oxford, or external individuals and partners from outside the University. Please note that the number of named individuals on the Award communication and invitations to the Awards Ceremony per winning entry may need to be limited due to space constraints.
- At least one academic or researcher from the University of Oxford must be named as the Lead Entrant or included within the Project Team.
- The Lead Entrant must inform and seek approval from relevant senior staff within their department, such as the Head of Department, regarding submission of the entry.
- Projects that have previously received a University of Oxford Vice-Chancellor's Innovation Award or Vice-Chancellor's Public Engagement with Research Award, or that were Highly Commended in either of these competitions, are ineligible for entry to this year's Vice-Chancellor's Innovation and Engagement Awards unless significant additional progress has been made since the award.
- Projects submitted previously for a University of Oxford Vice-Chancellor's Innovation Award or Vice-Chancellor's Public Engagement with Research Award which were not selected as winners or Highly Commended are welcome to enter the Vice-Chancellor's Innovation & Engagement Awards this year and are encouraged to demonstrate that additional progress has been made and to provide stronger evidence against the selection criteria.
- Entrants must agree that information about the winning entries can be publicised via internal and external communication channels. All content will be sent for approval to the Lead Entrant prior to publication.
- Only entries submitted through IRAMS will be considered.
- Incomplete entries will not be taken forward.
- The guidance and entry form available from Monday 7 February 2022.
- The IRAMs application portal opens on Monday 7 February 2022.
- Drop in application advice sessions on Teams Wednesday 10-11 am 9 March, Thursday 1.30-2.30 pm 31 March and Wednesday 1.30-2.30 pm 20 April 2022.
- The closing date for entries is 5 pm on Monday 25 April 2022.
- Winners announced at the Vice Chancellor's Innovation and Engagement Awards on Tuesday 6 September 2022.
If you have any questions please email IandEAwards@admin.ox.ac.uk
Do you know about the other VC Awards 2022?