The Open Day on Friday 20 September falls during the proposed Global Climate Strike.
Whilst Open Day events will be taking place as planned, we are very aware of the need to be more mindful of our impact on the planet.
We are, therefore, taking steps to make this Open Day our greenest yet.
Some initiatives we will be encouraging are –
- Staff and student Open Day volunteers will be requested to use public transport wherever possible.
- ‘Hydration stations’ will be made available to visitors, to reduce reliance on plastic bottles.
- We will reduce as much as possible our reliance on single-use plastics throughout the day.
- Recycling stations will be available to recycle any necessary printed materials.
- We will be mindful of food miles and the impact of meat and dairy production on the environment in our catering provision.
In addition, colleges and departments will be encouraged to –
- Share information relating to sustainability efforts within the department or college .
- Share information on current academic research that links to climate change or the environment.
If you'd like to learn more about the University's global research in areas such as climate, energy, food, water, waste and biodiversity, please keep an eye out for #TruePlanet on social media and visit the True Planet campaign website.
We also urge visitors to join in where they can, for example bringing water bottles to minimise the use of single-use plastics, travelling by public transport wherever possible, recycling any printed materials throughout the day.