Welcome! Please note that a Welsh language version of this site will follow soon.
Although University of Oxford colleges have been working with schools across Wales for many years, students from Wales are still under-represented at Oxford and we want this to change. It's time for a new approach!
Who are we?
Jesus College, New College and St Catherine’s College, have joined forces to launch Oxford Cymru, our community outreach programme for Wales! By working together, these colleges will ensure that for the first time the University of Oxford is able to offer a coherent outreach programme that covers the whole of Wales.
Our aims are ambitious:
- To provide sustained outreach support across ALL regions of Wales for students, teachers and prospective university applicants from underrepresented groups.
- To encourage and inspire Welsh students of all ages and from all backgrounds to enjoy their learning, be independent learners, have the confidence to be themselves and to be ambitious about their futures.
- To improve the educational opportunities of all students.
- To help those in Wales aiming for top universities to achieve their goal.
- By 2023, to increase the number of students from currently under-represented groups from 15% of the current UK undergraduate intake to 25% of the UK undergraduate intake.
- For Oxford University to be a realistic goal for anyone with academic talent and commitment.
For more details on the research underpinning these commitments, please see the University of Oxford's Access and Participation Plan.
Over the coming years Oxford Cymru will work with schools and colleges in the following areas:
Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Wrexham.
As well as working with the Seren network across Wales, Oxford Cymru is also developing partnerships with local authorities, multi academy trusts and social mobility organisations.
The colleges will also continue their existing work in other parts of the UK. Please note that if you or your school do not fall into our access categories, there is still plenty of advice and support available for you here and on the University website. All schools, sixth form and further education colleges across Wales are very welcome to contact Oxford Cymru for information and advice on admissions and outreach. Details of link colleges for other parts of the UK are available on the university website.
We do not expect to make radical changes overnight, but hope to build lasting partnerships across the region which will benefit the whole school community as well as our University.
We will evaluate the impact of our outreach across Wales and publish an annual impact report.
Find out more about outreach at the University of Oxford.