University of Oxford colleges have been working with schools across Yorkshire and Humberside for many years. Our link colleges know the region well and provide a first point of contact for schools and students in the area.
Link college arrangements have had many local successes in terms of encouraging and supporting applications to Oxford. However, students from across Yorkshire and the Humber remain under represented amongst Oxford undergraduates. To help change this, link colleges in adjoining areas have come together to create Oxford for Yorkshire and the Humber.
Brasenose, Mansfield, Worcester Colleges are combining forces to make the most of their access resources, and to provide better support for the students, teachers, and families in this area. Magdalen college is also supporting this work by continuing to provide support for students and schools across Barnsley Rotherham and Sheffield.
We aim to widen access to Oxford for students from underrepresented backgrounds and to enable more students from Yorkshire and Humberside to make successful applications to Oxford, and other top UK universities. Working together our colleges aim:
- To help students across Yorkshire and the Humber region enjoy their learning, to think big and become independent learners
- To inspire students of all ages and from all backgrounds to have the confidence to be themselves and to be ambitious about their futures
- To support raising attainment of primary level, GCSE and A level students
- To encourage more students from Yorkshire and the Humber to apply to Oxford and other top universities
- To support increasing the number of students from under-represented groups from 15% to 25% of Oxford's UK undergraduate intake
- To promote the University of Oxford as a realistic goal for anyone with academic potential and commitment.
For more details on the research underpinning these commitments, please see the University of Oxford's Access and Participation Plan.
In 2021/22 we expect to work more closely with schools and colleges with a particular focus on non-selective state schools and colleges.
We are also developing partnerships with local authorities, multi academy trusts, community organisations, local universities, and educational charities.
Please note that if you or your school do not fall into our access categories, there is still plenty of advice and support available for you here and on the University website. All schools, sixth form and further education colleges have a point of contact within University of Oxford who will be happy to provide information and advice on admissions and outreach.
We hope to build lasting partnerships which will benefit school communities across Yorkshire and the Humber as well as our University. We will evaluate the impact of our outreach across the region and publish an annual impact report on this website. Find out more about outreach at the University of Oxford.
To get in touch with your link college, please select the one linked to your local authority:
Mansfield Doncaster, East Riding, Hull, York, North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire
Brasenose North Yorkshire
Worcester Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, and Wakefield
Magdalen Barnsley, Rotherham, Sheffield.