Who Are We?
Although University of Oxford colleges have been working with schools across the East Midlands for many years, students from your area are still under-represented at Oxford and we want this to change. It's time for a new approach!
Lincoln College, Magdalen College and St Edmund Hall are excited to be combining forces to launch Oxford for East Midlands, our community outreach programme in your area. This ambitious programme will help us provide better and more bespoke support for students, parents and teachers.
Our aims are ambitious:
- For students in the East Midlands to enjoy their learning, to think big and become independent learners
- To inspire students of all ages and from all backgrounds to have the confidence to be themselves and to be ambitious about their futures
- To improve the educational opportunities of all students
- To encourage more students from the East Midlands to aim for top universities and to achieve their goals
- By 2023, to increase the number of students from currently under-represented groups from 15% of the current UK undergraduate intake to 25% of the UK undergraduate intake
- For Oxford University to be a realistic goal for anyone with academic talent and commitment.
For more details on the research underpinning these commitments, please see the University of Oxford's Access and Participation Plan.
In 2020 we launched Oxford NextGen - a targeted, sustained-contact programme working with select schools across Derby, Leicester, Northampton, and Nottingham.
We are also developing partnerships with local authorities, multi academy trusts, community organisations, local universities and social mobility organisations. The colleges will also continue their existing work in London.
Please note that if you or your school do not fall into our access categories, there is still plenty of advice and support available for you here and on the University website. All schools, sixth form and further education colleges have a point of contact within University of Oxford who will be happy to provide information and advice on admissions and outreach. You are also welcome to contact us via the contact form.
We do not expect to make radical changes overnight, but hope to build lasting partnerships across the region which will benefit the whole school community as well as our University.
We will evaluate the impact of our outreach across the East Midlands and publish an annual impact report here.
Find out more about outreach at the University of Oxford.