health services
Graduate students standing and chatting
Copyright © Greg Smolonski. This image comes from Oxford University Images. All rights reserved.

Health services

A range of services are available for advice and consultation, whether work is affecting health, or health is affecting work, to ensure that you stay in the best possible shape.

The National Health Service

For primary healthcare, you are advised to register with your college doctor or other local General Practitioner (GP). Students in full-time education under the age of 19 are exempt from most NHS charges, e.g. prescriptions. Other students may be entitled to help with charges on the grounds of low income. Information is available from the NHS leaflet HC11 – Help with Health Costs.

Information on the entitlement of international students to free hospital treatment under the NHS is available on the UKCISA website. If you are on a full-time course of study lasting six months or more or on a course of any duration that is substantially funded by the UK Government, you are entitled to free hospital treatment in England. This entitlement extends to your spouse and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living permanently with you for the duration of your course. Individual hospitals are responsible for deciding whether a patient is entitled to free treatment or not, in accordance with the relevant regulations. In order to establish entitlement, hospitals can ask you to provide documentation that supports your claim that you are studying in the UK. Students who applied for their visa on or after 6 April 2015, are likely to be eligible to pay the new immigration health charge. For information, visit the UKCISA website.

If you are unsure whether you are entitled to free hospital treatment, check with the Department of Health at:

Room 4W04b, Quarry House
Quarry Hill
Leeds LS2 7UE
0113 2545819

If you are not exempt from hospital charges, or only partially exempt, you are advised to take out appropriate private healthcare insurance for the length of your stay in the UK.


For routine or emergency dental treatment you should seek the advice of your college doctor or nurse. Studental, NHS dental care for Oxford, is located at Brookes campus on Headington Hill.

For out of hours emergency care, contact the East Oxford Emergency Dental Clinic on 0845 3458995. Open from 18:30-22:00 weekday evenings and all day at weekends. Alternatively, you can contact the NHS 111 Service: Tel. 111.


Colleges do not normally have a special arrangement with opticians, so you should register with an optician of your choice. Charges for sight tests vary. If you have a visual problem which requires specialised attention, you will be referred to the hospital eye service.

Occupational Health Service

The Occupational Health Service is available for advice and consultation on whether work is affecting health, or health affecting work. The service also provides travel advice if you are travelling as part of your studies. The service does not provide general medical treatment or first aid. It is located at 10 Parks Road, Oxford, call 01865 282676, open 08:30-17:00 Monday to Thursday and 08:30-16:00 on Fridays.

Some projects, particularly in science or medicine, may require work-related health surveillance. You should consult your project supervisor or departmental administrator to see if enrolment is necessary and, if so, arrange for the Area Safety Officer to complete a health surveillance registration form and forward it to the Occupational Health Service.

Oxford Physiotherapy Service

The Physiotherapy Service offers treatment for pain relief, healing, rehabilitation and the prevention of injury. A term-time clinic is held at Keble College (Room S4, Sloane-Robinson building) on Tuesdays from 13:00-16:00 and Fridays 13:30-16:30.

Contact the Oxford Physiotherapy Service by calling 01865 311686 or emailing