Students sitting on the steps of the Clarendon building
Students taking a break in the sunshine on the steps of the Clarendon building situated next to the Sheldonian Theatre.

Visiting students

Visiting status is given to students from overseas who apply to a college to spend up to one year in Oxford on a course related to a degree in their own country. Visiting status is typically intended for undergraduate students taking a year abroad.

1. Admission to the University

You are a non-matriculated student affiliated with a college or society who has not been admitted to the University. Visiting status may be held for a maximum of three terms within the same academic year. Admission is at the discretion of a college and it is they who will arrange for your tuition or supervision.

Upon successfully completing your studies you will be provided with a certificate of attendance recommending you for credit at your home institution. In addition to providing details of the course taken and grades received, copies of your termly reports provided by your tutors may be provided.

2. Access to facilities

You will have access to all college facilities and membership of the Junior Common Room (JCR) - the undergraduate student body. You also have access to a wide range of University facilities, including the Bodleian Libraries, faculty (subject) libraries, IT services, and the great wealth of lectures organised by the University throughout the academic year.

3. Fees and accommodation

University tuition fees are payable to cover the cost of access to the University facilities. As you are affiliated to a college you will also pay college fees and have access to college accommodation.

4. Before you arrive

You will receive a University student contract, including a University card application form, from your college. This card acts as a form of identity on college or University premises, provides admission to University libraries, IT services and the Language Centre, and in some departments can be used as a payment card or to access buildings.

Before arriving as a new student in Oxford you should complete the first step of your University registration using Student Self Service. Your Oxford Single Sign On IT account details will be sent to you via email. Your College Office will complete your University registration when you arrive.

5. Arriving at Oxford

On arrival your college will complete your University registration and provide you with your University card. Once your University registration is complete you will be able to log back into Student Self Service to print an enrolment certificate and check and update your personal details throughout the year.

6. What if I have to postpone or cancel my study?

If your circumstances change and you have to postpone your arrival or cancel your study, please inform your college.