Professor Steve Strand is interested in ethnicity, social class and gender in relation to a wide range of educational outcomes (such as educational achievement, pupil progress, attendance, exclusion from school, the identification of Special Educational Needs etc.) and at all stages of statutory schooling age 4-16. He is also interested in school effectiveness, on the impact of English language fluency, pupil mobility, parental involvement, and on education policy in relation to school effectiveness.
- Race / ethnicity and educational achievement
- Social class and achievement
- White working-class achievement
- Equity in education
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Special educational need (SEN)
- School effectiveness / performance / league tables
Professor Strand has considerable media experience, including national print and broadcast media.