Professor Marginson is Professor of Higher Education at the University of Oxford, Director of the ESRC/OFSRE Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE), and Editor-in-Chief of Higher Education. He researches global and international higher education, higher education in East Asia, and higher education and social inequality. He also prepares reports and commentary in relation to education policy. He is currently working on an integrated theorization of higher education. He is also a Lead Researcher at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, and serves as an advisor and visiting scholar at Peking University and Tsinghua University in Beijing and at the National Autonomous University (UNAM) in Mexico.
- Higher education
- International and comparative education
- Higher education in China and the Asia-Pacific
- Policy, funding and regulation in higher education
- Political philosophy and education
- Educational sociology
- Political economy of education
- High Participation Systems of Higher Education
- Higher Education in Federal Countries
- Internationalisation in Vietnamese Higher Education
- Higher education as self-formation
- And the sky is grey: The ambivalent outcomes of the California Master Plan for Higher Education
- The Dream is Over: The crisis of Clark Kerr’s California Idea of Higher Education (University of California Press, 2016)
- Higher Education and the Common Good (Melbourne University Publishing, 2016)
- Higher Education in Federal Countries, edited with Martin Carnoy, Isak Froumin and Oleg Leshukov (Sage, 2018)
- High Participation Systems of Higher Education, edited with Brendan Cantwell and Anna Smolentseva (Oxford University Press, 2018)
Professor Marginson has had extensive engagement with print media since the early 1990s in Australia and have been interviewed for radio on numerous occasions.
He also has extensive experience writing articles and blog posts for online media.