Professor Terezinha Nunes
Professor Emeritus of Educational Studies
Professor Nunes is a clinical psychologist by training. She studies children’s literacy and numeracy, including both hearing and deaf children’s learning, with a focus on cognitive and cultural issues. Her work on “street mathematics” in Brazil uncovered many features of children’s and adults’ informal knowledge, and her subsequent work in the UK investigates how this informal knowledge can be used in education. Her literacy research focuses on the connections between morphological awareness, spelling and vocabulary growth.
- Literacy teaching and learning in primary school
- Numeracy teaching and learning in primary school
- Deaf children learning
- Children's reading and spelling: beyond the first steps (2009)
- Improving literacy through teaching morphemes (2006)
- Teaching mathematics to deaf children (2004)
Professor Nunes has media experience.