Professor Robert Eccles
Professor Robert Eccles focuses on how companies and investors can create sustainable strategies. He is a leading authority on the integration of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors in decisions by companies and investors, and on integrated reporting.
In 2014 and 2015 he was named as one of the 100 Most Influential People in Business Ethics and is the Founding Chairman of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), as well as one of the founders of the International Integrated Reporting Council.
At the Saïd Business School he is engaged in a number of research projects focused on corporate purpose, corporate reporting, engagement and stewardship, and private equity.
Professor Eccles is an Eminent Academic Advisor to BCG on Global ESG Integration and Reporting. He is also an advisor to the non-profit Impact Management Project and Corporate Accountability Project. In 2011, Professor Eccles was selected as one of the Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior 2012 for his extensive, positive contribution to building trust in business. In 2013, he was named the first non-accountant Honorary Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), one of only nine since 1999. In 2018 he was named by Barron’s as one of the top 20 influencers in ESG investing and cited for being an “ESG research trailblazer.” Also, in 2018 he received The CSR Lifetime Achievement Award at The 8th International Conference on Sustainability & Responsibility in Cologne, Germany.
- Sustainable investing
- Sustainability accounting
- Integrated reporting
- Shareholder engagement
- Corporate purpose
- Stakeholder capitalism
- Fiduciary duty
- Carbon Might Be Your Company's Biggest Financial Liability (2021)
- The Difference Between Purpose and Sustainability (2021)
- Four strategies for effective engagement (2021)
- An Introduction to Activist Stewardship (2021)
- Can a Tiny Hedge Fund Push ExxonMobil Towards Sustainability? (2021)
- EQT: Private Equality with a Purpose (2020)
- To Achieve Purpose, Boards Must Embrace Integrated Reporting (2020)
- The Future of ESG Is... Accounting? (2020)
Professor Robert Eccles has considerable media experience including with the Financial Times, Forbes and Responsible Investor.
Recent media work
- Seven Principles For ESG Investing: A Conversation With Desiree Fixler (Forbes, 2021)
- A Critique of Tariq Fancy's Critique of ESG Investing: An Interview with Clara Miller (Forbes, 2021)
- Here Comes the Sun for ExxonMobil's Shareholders (Forbes, 2021)
- Three Principles for EST Investing from the UK Financial Conduct Authority (Forbes, 2021)
- SEC Commissioner Hester M Pierce's Chocolate Covered Ideological Screed (Forbes, 2021)
- A Dutch Court Fires A Warning Shot Across the Bow of US Enterprise (Forbes, 2021)
- The International Sustainability Standards Board as an Ideological Rorschach Test (Forbes, 2021)
- Here Comes the Sun for Exxonmobil's Shareholders (Forbes, 2021)