Professor Paul Newman
BP Professor of Information Engineering; Fellow of Keble College
Professor Paul Newman leads the Oxford Robotics Institute, which enjoys a world leading reputation in mobile autonomy - developing machines and robots which map, navigate through and understand their environments. The group has a particular focus on transport, including robot autonomy, navigation, mapping, scene understanding and perception. Flagship projects include RobotCar UK and a complete autonomy system on small “pods” for urban use.
He is co-founder of the spin-out company Oxbotica which develops autonomy software systems for autonomous vehicles in a wide variety of deployments.
- Robotics, robots
- Artificial intelligence
- Autonomous vehicles
- Mobile robotics
Professor Newman has extensive media experience in both print and broadcast media.
Recent media work
- University of Oxford scientists help launch first driverless car
- Oxbotica turned a Nissan Leaf into a RobotCar – and it could help us to get to Mars
- First self-driving 'pod' unleashed on Britain's streets
- Are driverless cars the future of travel? The key questions
- Why our roboticists are working for the 99 percent