Professor Jonathan Cross
Professor Cross’ research interests lie in 20th- and 21st-century music, especially Stravinsky and Birtwistle, spectral music, and modernism.
Aside from his academic work, he is committed to giving talks on a broad range of musical topics that engage with the interests of the wider public, including recently at English National Opera, Glyndebourne Opera, BBC Proms, Singapore International Festival of Arts, Aldeburgh Festival, Bath Bach and Mozart Festivals, South Bank Centre, Barbican Centre, New Music Scotland, Gresham College London, and for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra and London Sinfonietta. He is series consultant to the Philharmonia Orchestra’s 2016 Stravinsky: Myths and Rituals series.
- Twentieth-century and contemporary music
- The music of Harrison Birtwistle
- The music of Igor Stravinsky
- Musical theory and analysis
- Igor Stravinsky (2015)
- Harrison Birtwistle: The Mask of Orpheus (2009)
- The Cambridge Companion to Stravinsky (2003)
- Harrison Birtwistle: Man, Mind, Music (2000)
Professor Cross has experience of radio and TV interviews and is a regular contributor to BBC Radio 3.