Professor Alain Goriely
Professor of Mathematical Modelling; Director of the Oxford Centre for Collaborative Applied Mathematics; Fellow of St Catherine's College
Professor Goriely is director of the Oxford Centre for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (OCIAM). He is also co-director and co-founder of the International Brain Mechanics and Trauma Lab, an international collaboration bringing together biologists, computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians, neuroscientists and other clinicians, and physicists in the study of brain cell and tissue mechanics and their relation to brain functions, diseases or trauma.
- Methods of applied mathematics (e.g. differential equations, dynamical systems)
- Discrete and continuum mechanics, elasticity, plasticity
- Application of mechanics and mathematics to biology
- Mathematical modelling in physics and engineering
- Interesting and otherwise unclassifiable mathematical problems
Professor Goriely has experience in working with the media and welcomes queries on all aspects of mathematics. With his colleague Derek Molton, he worked on mathematical formulae, codes and lecture notes for the film Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011).