Dr Tim Clack
Dr Tim Clack is an anthropologist with research interests in conflict, culture, heritage and the environment. He has extensive fieldwork experience in parts of sub-Saharan Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali and Somalia), Central Asia (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan) and the South Atlantic (Falkland Islands and South Georgia).
Much of Dr Clack's research concerns the drivers of, and responses to, warfare in different contexts. In recent years, for example, he has delivered large research projects into the role of climate change, propaganda, heritage destruction, and religious identities in the shaping of historical and current conflicts.
His current projects include: Climate Change & (In)Security Project; Culture and Conflict Project; Information Warfare Project; Falklands War Mapping Project; Endangered Cultural Heritage in the Global South Project; and the Mursiland Heritage Project.
Dr Clack is General Editor of the Routledge Advances in Defence Studies (RAiDS) book series. He is also Senior Editor – Cultural Heritage of the journal Cogent – Arts & Humanities.
Outside of academia, Tim has delivered various specialist roles in the UK Civil Service. These include postings in the UK Stabilisation Unit, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (as it was then), and Cabinet Office.
- Cultural heritage
- War / armed conflict
- Climate change and in/security
- Propaganda / information warfare
- Colonialism – especially the history of in Africa
- Culture wars
- Cultural Heritage and Conflict: Past, Propaganda, Parade. Clack, T. and M. Dunkley (Routledge, in press, publication September 2022)
- The World Information War: Western Resilience, Campaigning, and Cognitive Effects. Clack, T. and R. Johnson (Routledge, 2021)
- Before Military Intervention: Upstream Stabilisation in Theory and Practice. Clack, T. and R. Johnson. (Palgrave, 2019)
- The River: Peoples and Histories of the Omo-Turkana Area. Clack, T. and M. Brittain (Archaeopress, 2018)
- At the End of Military Intervention. Clack, T. and R. Johnson (Oxford University Press, 2015)
Dr Tim Clack's media experience includes numerous interviews for radio and television linked to various projects, including with Falklands Radio, Falkland Islands Television, Lincs FM, and Oxford Policy Pod.
Dr Clack is a technical advisor on a Netflix documentary looking at climate change and conflict. (The film is in post-production and due to broadcast by the end of 2022.)