Dr Scott A. Hale is an Associate Professor and Senior Research Fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute and a Fellow of the Alan Turing Institute.
He develops and applies techniques from computer science to research questions in the social sciences. Dr Hale's research seeks to see more equitable access to quality information and investigates the spread of information between speakers of different languages online, the roles of bilingual Internet users, collective action and mobilization, hate speech, and misinformation.
- Equitable access to quality information
- Bilingualism and the spread of information between speakers of different languages online
- Online collective action and mobilization
- Online harms (hate speech, misinformation, fact-checking)
- Natural language processing, machine learning, and AI to analyse large-scale social media data
- Computational social science