At our annual Materials Science Open Days, you will get the chance to experience what studying Materials Science at Oxford is like. You will gain insight into the subject through taster lectures and workshop sessions, along with a feel for Oxford itself with tours of both the department and an Oxford college.
The format of the day varies, but a typical programme would have the following elements:
- A welcome to the department and a brief introduction to Materials Science as a subject
- A talk from a senior lecturer about their work, often relating to cutting-edge research
- A tour of the department giving an idea of our facilities and showing the variety of on-going research activities
- A brief tour of one of the colleges
- A workshop looking at a variety of aspects of materials science that relate to the Science Curriculum
- Advice on how to apply to study Materials Science
- The chance to meet and speak to some of our current students
This year, we are holding both in person Open Days (held at the Department of Materials in Oxford) and an online open day.
Please be aware that places on the in person Open Days are very limited. We hope that those of you who do not get a place on one of the in person Open Days or who are unable to travel to Oxford for the day will be able to gain just as much by joining us for our online Open Day.
Booking is essential. If the event is oversubscribed, priority will be given to students from schools with little or no history of applications to Oxford. Register using the form on this page by Friday 28th January.